Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Mus Murinae

Ooooh ! A town for me ! Thanks Aeshnidae !!
    Sci-fi is an unknown territory for me in map making but this one is already in my reference folder : I love your colors and all the details. Also, the semi transparency of the land on the main planet is brilliant

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Looking good. But maybe Constellation instead of Contellation in the description box. Figured I'd help you out with those typos, although you might have to adjust the font size or box size to fix that one.
    Excellent catch, thank you! I've fixed that typo and also some tiny spacing issues that were driving me batty. Going to give my eyes a rest now, and will look at everything fresh tomorrow.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guildworld Mockup v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.16 MB 
ID:	106231

Thanks, MistyBeee! I'm super happy to hear that the semi-transparency of the land works for others; I wanted to whole planet to seem like it was projected out from the center of the globe (for those who look close enough to notice). The colors are inspired by the Viper cockpit viewscreen from Battlestar Galactica.

You have a bay, too, but you can only see it on the flat version of the map.
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 04-07-2018 at 10:33 PM.

WOW! I'm a Star System!

I never expected to see my name on a map.
    bkh1914 isn't the sort of name you normally give to a town or geographic feature.
    It never occurred to me that it was the type of name that is used for celestial objects.
    You found a perfect fit.
    Thanks.

-bkh
    (My initials, if you are wondering.)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is really well-thought-out, well put-together, well... well, it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    -bkh (My initials, if you are wondering.)
    I will assume 1914 is not your birth year or the year that you graduated......

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    WOW! I'm a Star System!

I never expected to see my name on a map. bkh1914 isn't the sort of name you normally give to a town or geographic feature. It never occurred to me that it was the type of name that is used for celestial objects. You found a perfect fit. Thanks.
    Glad you like it, bkh! Much as Greason Wolfe, the moment I got the idea for this map, I knew you had the perfect name to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is really well-thought-out, well put-together, well... well, it's great.
    Thanks, Diamond, I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I will assume 1914 is not your birth year or the year that you graduated......
    I was thinking the same thing. My cousin (1st cousin once removed) was born in 1917 and we celebrated her 100th birthday last year. I can't imagine any Guild members are older than Eva!

I made some additional minor fixes. This is getting pretty close to final!

Most of the text on the left side is a nod to the Guild's website, including the number of Guild members (shown as the number of settlements), website menus, and the names of site leaders. The area and population are from the Donjon demographic generator that Diamond linked to for the April 2018 challenge. I included as many Guild member names as I could without making the maps too busy; the flat world map has more names than the planet view, with some others scattered throughout the non-map areas (MapMappingMapped, you're an abbreviation).

This is the first time that what I saw in my mind's eye when I started the map matched up with the final version almost perfectly. And I really didn't think I could do a sci-fi map at all!

This is also the first time I didn't start a map with pencil and paper. However, everything except the galaxy (which came from NASA's public images) and the beginning on the moon (which started as a photo of a slice of Swiss cheese) was originally drawn by hand using a Wacom Intuos tablet, then manipulated further in Photoshop.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guildworld Mockup v8 (sm).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	5.16 MB 
ID:	106251
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 04-09-2018 at 09:04 AM.

That's a fantastic space map ! And a whole mountain range for me, that's very generous of you

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That's a fantastic space map ! And a whole mountain range for me, that's very generous of you
    Thanks! You got a mountain range because your entry for this challenge features a beautiful mountain range. And also it was an easy way to work your name into the map.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast