Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Mus Murinae

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Wip Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Mus Murinae

I wasn't even thinking about entering this challenge; I was content to simply enjoy the other entries, especially since I just finished the March regular challenge. But as I was falling asleep last night, my evil brain whispered, "Pssst. Hey! Yeah, you! With the back-to-back-to-back meetings and tons of new work projects! You know what would be cool? Mapping Guildworld like it's on Star Trek. You should get on that, the deadline is approaching." Now, I've never made such a map before. It never even crossed my mind that I would make such a map, because I make maps for my D&D game, and it's definitely not in space. But here I am. This is also my first map that didn't start with pencil and paper, although I did draw the world map (flat) on a Wacom tablet in Photoshop. This is a very rough draft, just to see if I could create something that looked okay enough to post here. I have a feeling that the feedback will be invaluable, since this is way outside my comfort zone and will require me to learn new techniques and think of mapping in a different way. I'm considering everything to be a placeholder at this point, although I'll probably stick with the current names.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guildworld Mockup v1 (sm).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	106135

Very neat idea! Can't wait to see where will you take this and how are you going to do the labels.

Oh wow!

A whole sector to myself

I like this map - a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh wow!

A whole sector to myself

I like this map - a lot
    I'm glad you spotted your scientific name! (Errr...quasi scientific, it's out of order. But it sounds better as a sector that way.) You might also get a moon made of cheese, although I'm not sure I'll be able to represent it well with my chosen color scheme. We'll see!

Blue cheese maybe? Might fit the color scheme to some extent.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

If you sneak some creamy colours in there for a bit of contrast with the blue, it could even be brie?

I like brie

I was thinking blue cheese...I do like the brie idea, too, as that is one of my go-to cheeses. Really all cheese is great; I'm very pro-cheese.

Updated placeholders. Still lots of work to do before I even get into the nitpicky stuff, like fixing spacing issues. I mostly wanted to get some color on the map to distinguish territories and add some cities to see how they looked.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guildworld Mockup v2 (sm).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	106168

Welcome to the Challenge aeshnidae! Excellent idea, nice start. I don't often step out of my comfort zone, but it is nice to see when other people do it.

I am Galactus!!

Thanks, Bogie!

I finally got to a spot where I could add names. I have tons more names on the flat world map but I'll have to play around with spacing. I went with a Swiss cheese moon but may test out other options. Among other things, I need to fix the solar system's planetary lineup because the planets would all crash into each other (I used to work for a planetary research institute and my former colleagues would shake their heads in shame).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guildworld Mockup v4 (sm).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	106203

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast