Thread: Map of The Republic of Dorrin and Surrounding Areas

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Map of The Republic of Dorrin and Surrounding Areas

Here's my first completed map! I wanted to do a quick-ish map for my players that is styled like it could have been made in that universe. What can I add or do differently? Thanks for the feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of the Republic of Dorrin.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	7.34 MB 
ID:	106197
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of the Republic of Dorrin.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	7.34 MB 
ID:	106196  

Very nice, DamnedRivers! Love the shape of the land and mountain placement. I really like the paper texture you used but I wonder if it might help to dial it back just a little bit? I only say that because the text doesn’t seem, at least to me, to match it entirely in terms of a hand-drawn/ink feeling (since ink would presumebly bleed a little into the paper). It seems a bit too crisp in places.
    Last edited by antillies; 04-06-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: that moment when you accidentally hit the submit button before you’re finished...

Guild Expert

Very nice first map! I really like the wood cut effect you have going around the coast. If I could offer some advice it would be to work on those mountains, you have a good base but they need more in my opinion. Maybe add some ridge lines, or some old time hatching on the shadow side would look nice with that coast and maybe even some light shading. All in all though I think it's great, the coast is awesome, the colors are nice, the land shape itself is very attractive, and you just need to finish off the mountains... Keep it up, this is much better then many first maps that I've seen so I'll be excited to see where you go from here.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Antillies, Thanks for the feedback! I'm still figuring out how to work with GIMP and how certain line styles end up looking too crisp when zoomed out.

Kacey, thank you as well. I'll add some detail on the mountains, that's a very good idea. I initially thought to go for the less-is-more approach, but I agree that some shading would look great.

That's a very nice start! I love the colors and also the coastline. But like kacey said - the mountains could need a bit more details/shading.
    The paper/canvas texture looks very good, but it's a bit confusing that it's quite dominant in some areas and nearly disappears in other areas (for example: around Hagvein, north of Last King's Point, south of the Viska Badlands).