Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starship Sections Maps (Part 1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I like your corridors. They make a good border .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet-wag-7.png 
Views:	829 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	17539  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

This month I've been working on a starship hangar bay. I don't think I'll finish it by the end of the month as I had desired. Here is what I have so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starship Section - Hanger Bay.jpg 
Views:	1665 
Size:	981.5 KB 
ID:	17976
    In clockwise order: top left is the pilot quarters; top middle is a conference room; top right is a cargo storage area; middle right is a small medical station; bottom right is another (smaller) cargo storage area; bottom left is the pilot ready room; and the center is the hanger area. Within the hanger area, the top left will be a mechanics station, the top middle is the control room, and the top right will be a cargo staging area. The exit (to space) is the bottom of the hanger area.

As always comments and criticisms are welcome. I am considering what ships I want to put in the hanger (if any) - I've seen some nice layouts of the Millennium Falcon or possible an array of starfighters. During most adventures the hanger bay was the location where the player characters' ship landed, so I have also considered leaving the hanger open.

As a side note, the thing that has kept me from completing the hanger bay has been a map for an adventure. The player characters will be liberating a methane gas facility from a group of pirates. I originally wanted to play this adventure live (instead of online) and just draw the map on my 2'x3' dry-erase hexgrid based on:

Name:	Methane Facility layout.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	17972
    The tanks are methane storage tanks. The top and bottom middle sections are hanger bays. The middle is the control facilities. However, since we are playing online shortly I made up a quick map for online play. I will use the latest edition of the hanger bay for the hangers and this for the control facilities:

Name:	Methane Facility - Middle.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	17973
    (I just added wall fill into two of the areas where I couldn't think of anything else to put.) I've included openings where the players can exit to the methane storage tank areas. The methane storage tanks are just flips and rotations of these two sections:

Name:	Methane Facility Tanks - Top Left.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	848.3 KB 
ID:	17974 (top left - flip for top right, rotate 180° for bottom right, flip and rotate 180° for bottom left)

Name:	Methane Facility Tanks - Middle Left.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	17975 (middle left - flip for middle right)
    They should be fairly easy to piece together online. (The overall map would be entirely too big to play with.) This is just a quick map concept for me. But still any comments or criticisms would be welcome.

It's a great game.
    I don't have it myself and the guy who GMd got bores a while back...

Here are some additional overlays. I've given them a standard background tile so that they will connect with the corridors smoothly. They should be the same scale as the starship sections. They are 12x12 overlays and should fit in any of the corners of the starship section maps.
    A cargo storage area:

Name:	Cargo Storage.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	783.0 KB 
ID:	10768

A vehicle bay (with speeder bikes, AT-STs, and a halftrack modified to be Imperial):

Name:	Vehicle Bay.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	890.7 KB 
ID:	10769
    The walls are a little difficult to make out because they are gray against the gray flooring.

A narrow corridor (ideal for choke points):

Name:	Corridor (12x1).jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	10770

I'm working on some additional overlays for March. As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.

Hoel: Is the spacing on these more what you were expecting?
    Last edited by Kihmbar; 02-26-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Attachments did not show properly in post.

Guild Journeyer

These are great. Keep them coming

Sci-fi stuff is hard to find.

Where did you find the At St & Speeder Bike?
    Last edited by Xyll; 02-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.

I've had a bit of free time to work on this. Here are some more overlays. First a 12x12 weapons emplacement:

Name:	Weapon Emplacement.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	809.6 KB 
ID:	10812
    Each weapon has it's own fire control stations. The bottom right is a small power room to power the weapons.

Next, I went with some smaller 6x6 overlays. I intend on using these for the "Modular Base" that our group has acquired [found on pg77 of the Bases and Strongholds sourcebook]. They don't fit together as neatly as the 12x12, but if you place a corridor between them it won't matter. I've included a 2x1 corridor if you want to line them up normally.

A command module overlay:

Name:	Command Module.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	10814
    The command module has four stations: communications, sensors, command, and systems. Feel free to designate them as you see fit.

A barracks module overlay:

Name:	Crew Barracks.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	10813
    Room for 16 bunks to house the crew. I added a few personal effects to break up the monotony.

A "blank" module overlay:

Name:	Empty Module.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	10816
    In case you want to make up your own or just have an empty one.

And the 2x1 corridor:
    Name:  Corridor (2x1).jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  13.1 KB

I trust that will help out some of your sci-fi games. I'll post additional overlays in batches as I get finished. If you have any suggestions of what you would like to see, please let me know. As always, comments and criticism is welcome.

Xyll: I'm not sure where I got them, but I think it was the Holocron. There's a "101 Mapmaking Objects" download that has a lot of SW stuff. Also, there is RPGMapShare. I think this is where I got the AT-STs. If not there, then it may have been on the WotC forum.
    Last edited by Kihmbar; 02-28-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Comment on AT-ST and speeder bikes.

Yup. This is what I was after!
    I'll keep stealing your maps since I plan to GM some star wars in the future.
    Thanks!

A Few different loading docks and maybe an airlock or passenger entry area...
    Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    A Few different loading docks and maybe an airlock or passenger entry area...
    Thanks a bunch
    I already did an airlock as part of the modular base, so here's my take on a "passenger entry area" for the Star Wars universe:

Name:	Passenger Entryway.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	838.3 KB 
ID:	12727
    Passengers enter up the ramp in the bottom center and can go from there to wherever they need. I included both stairs and turbolifts for multiple-level access. There are plenty of computer terminals for information. And the troopers have a break room nearby in case trouble starts.

And what would a starship be without a detention block:

Name:	Detention Cell.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	877.2 KB 
ID:	12728
    The bottom left is a room for the guards with a small armory behind it (give the PCs somewhere to rearm themselves). The bottom right is intended to be an officer's office with a small living quarters behind it. The "side" exits are intended to lead to maintenance areas (or trash compactors), not for primary traffic flow.

A few more overlays to customize a starship interior. I'm looking at doing a fighter bay or hanger next. Something that the players can land a ship in so that they have access to the larger starship. As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

These look good but I can't help but want to add a stroke around the objects or maybe a shadow to help them not blend into the floor. Keep up the nice work, though, they look good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast