Thread: World of Kolurri - Feedback welcome (and maybe some help with biomes/climate?)

Wip World of Kolurri - Feedback welcome (and maybe some help with biomes/climate?)

I'm starting up a new homebrew DnD campaign this coming summer, and I've taken this opportunity to create a new world, Kolurri.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kolurri Equirectangular Map - Rough draft 2.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	106557

I've got the continents down, and since I gave some thought to tectonics as I was creating the land I had an idea of where, roughly, to put the mountains. I have stalled out a little, or at least slowed down, in determining the climate and biomes. I especially have trouble determining how big to make forests and how many lakes/rivers should be visible when I'm working on a global scale. So if anyone has advice for me on that, I'd be happy to hear it.

I also would appreciate feedback in general on the realism of what I've got so far or anything like that. It's a DnD map for a small group of friends, none of whom have any particular knowledge or interest in geography. Plus, it's a fantasy world; a major part of the history is even that the gods used to walk among men and when they did, they caused major devastation. So I'm not super concerned about realism, but it's always nice to learn things, and creating a supernatural reason for something to exist can create cool history/backstory elements. For instance, I wasn't sure if my weird circle archipelago connecting the two continents was possible, so I made a legend that it was created in a fight between two gods when one of them fell and "shattered the land" where the continents had previously met.

Thanks for taking a look at this, and thanks in advance if you decide to comment!

EDIT: I just remembered I had meant to mention this: the southern pole doesn't actually have a land mass. I did some research and it seems that the surface will freeze over in winter and melt to open ocean in summer. If anyone knows more than I do about that and/or how it'll effect other elements of the world, I'd appreciate the imparting of knowledge.
    Last edited by mreading247; 04-23-2018 at 03:15 PM.

My map of Kolurri continues to develop. I have essentially finalized the mountain's position and design and I added in the lakes and rivers that I figured should be visible at this scale. I also ended up giving it a color palette I like much better, though in all honesty that wasn't done intentionally. Next up is figuring out the climate zones/biomes, during which I'll probably change the lakes around some.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kolurri Equirectangular Map - Rough draft 4 (Cortographer's guild).jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	106615

Shapes are good and belieaveable, Not so sure for the left continent with those two mountain ranges.

Yeah, you're right, those ranges do look rather off. I'll probably change that up that somehow. Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate it!