Thread: My Fantasy Continent Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip My Fantasy Continent Map

Hey there everyone!

Some days ago I posted a request for a map; I already had a shape and general idea in mind, but had no knowledge on world building to actually make something nice and somewhat realistic, which is what I wanted. This is the basic continent I had thought of:

But well, that isn't enough for me, and being a bit low on money, I decided to give my own try on doing the map. I did a bit of reading, and have some slight progress to show, so well, I'll start updating this thread with new things.

Here's update #1
    I did a bit of thinking on how that shape would've been formed with tectonic plates, and this is what I came up with. Rough continent shape included.

After that, I polished the continent's look a bit, and added some islands; not really sure if I like how the latter look, so any feedback on that would be highly appreciated, on top of any you might feel like giving.

After, I went back to my plates, and imagined how they could've collided and intaracted with each other. Since looking back at it now the drawing seems a bit confusing, here's what's happening: Plates 1, 2 and 3 are continental. Plate 2 is forcing itself on top of 1 and 3, and 1 on top of 3. Now, I'm not sure if this is something that actually happens... I honestly just needed an excuse for having separate regions.

Now, having that done, I have all my mountain ranges pretty much drawn out for me. (Ignore how crappy they look, I'll take care of style later)

Since plate 2 is on top of all the other ones, it's the coldest one. Below it, is plate 1, and then 3.

I'll be stopping here for today, since I don't have much clue on how to proceed from here. I think the most logical thing would be to create rivers and lakes. I really don't know what to do after that, and I also have some questions:
    1. Is this realistic enough?
    2. Do the islands look weird? Should I add more? Less?
    3. How big should something like this be? I was picturing it a bit bigger than Brazil.

Also, please give me any sort of feedback. This is my first try, so I know I'm bound to make plenty of dumb errors.

Thanks a lot for reading it until now! I'll be updating this as soon as I can + get directions and feedback from all of you experienced people. :)
    Last edited by jpocruz; 04-23-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Fixed image sizes