Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le vent me meut

Map Le vent me meut

A little piece (21,5 x 21,5 cm from a new sketchbook I recently bought)) drawn with a kuretake soft brush n°13. You can see that I took the idea of the border from J.Edward and I've gotta say, these are great to look at but they're also great to draw. You can play with many forms, strokes and ideas. A simple and elegant way to play with your maps. The style is also inspired by his even if I seem to be able to drift my own way more and more (you are the judges here).

The title translates to "The wind moves me" and is written in Elian script which is also pretty fun to play with. I sloppily added locations also written in Elian script with four letters random words.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Le vent me meut Post.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	106770
    © Thomas Rey - 2018 - All rights reserved

Feel free to tell me what you think of it. Any critic or comment is welcome.

Cheers !

Blog Entries

I think that rugged mountain range is interesting!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice work... you go on playing with your style and you have good results ! Congratulations !
    It's a lovely map, attractive in its details... even if this language is quite difficult to read and can sometime bring confusion with elements of the map.

(mais je suis tout de même surpris que tu n'aies pas dessiné une vache quelque part dans cette carte... en référence à son titre, bien sûr !)

Another very interesting and well crafted map, Thom. As a fellow fan of J.Edward's work, I can see his influence on this map, but I can also see that you're developing and exploring a new style that's all yours, too, and that's always a great thing to see. I like the cartoon-ish aspect of this map a lot.

I think that, while this style is very illustrative and evocative, it does sacrifice clarity a bit, especially with labels and landmarks. Clever use of colour, in my opinion, might be a very effective way to combat the clarity issue.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the look of this - like Wingshaw said, John's influence is apparent, but this is a great new direction and I love it. The canyons are particularly well done. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the banner. Not the banner per se, but the fact that it's very hard to separate it from the map/terrain underneath it. What about adding a drop shadow to it? Or some cross-hatching around its edges? Something to allow the viewer to tell it's there a bit easier.

Another pretty brush map, Thomas ! Use the Elian script makes it mysterious and immersive : I want to put my eyes on the sketchbook of the adventurer who drew it !

Nice! I'm impressed by your skills with traditionnal media. Clearly, your dedicated work gets results!
    Is it some dragonewt runes in the bottom?

Very nice Thomas
    I had a line in poems I wrote years ago that gels very well with your title here...
    I am the wind in the trees as I move through the human leaves.

The border style is fun to play with. Lots of options and you can just let your hand drift around.
    Very carefree and relaxed. And much more forgiving for those with arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by qhqhTerra View Post
    I think that rugged mountain range is interesting!
    Thanks a lot Terra

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice work... you go on playing with your style and you have good results ! Congratulations !
    It's a lovely map, attractive in its details... even if this language is quite difficult to read and can sometime bring confusion with elements of the map.

(mais je suis tout de même surpris que tu n'aies pas dessiné une vache quelque part dans cette carte... en référence à son titre, bien sûr !)
    Héhé, merci Joel ! You're right about the language. At the end, I hesitated to add some labels but went for it a bit awkwardly. I still have to learn to leave empty space for the labels. For the joke, I did not even think about it but it could have been fun, adding a holstein in here

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Another very interesting and well crafted map, Thom. As a fellow fan of J.Edward's work, I can see his influence on this map, but I can also see that you're developing and exploring a new style that's all yours, too, and that's always a great thing to see. I like the cartoon-ish aspect of this map a lot.

I think that, while this style is very illustrative and evocative, it does sacrifice clarity a bit, especially with labels and landmarks. Clever use of colour, in my opinion, might be a very effective way to combat the clarity issue.

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George, your comment makes me really happy Color would resolve the legibility issue but I guess I gotta work in another direction and try and make it more legible in black and white. Thanks for the advice though

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I love the look of this - like Wingshaw said, John's influence is apparent, but this is a great new direction and I love it. The canyons are particularly well done. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the banner. Not the banner per se, but the fact that it's very hard to separate it from the map/terrain underneath it. What about adding a drop shadow to it? Or some cross-hatching around its edges? Something to allow the viewer to tell it's there a bit easier.
    Thanks D I'm getting better with those canyons indeed and you're totally right about the ribbon. Using only one pen without really mastering it's pressure is not the cleverest idea but I'll get there. I'll keep the hatching idea in mind for later maps and try adding some color to see where it leads me. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Another pretty brush map, Thomas ! Use the Elian script makes it mysterious and immersive : I want to put my eyes on the sketchbook of the adventurer who drew it !
    Merci beaucoup Beee You gotta try the script, it's really fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice! I'm impressed by your skills with traditionnal media. Clearly, your dedicated work gets results!
    Is it some dragonewt runes in the bottom?
    Merci beaucoup Julien, you make me blush Once again, I did not thought of RQ but you're right. The triangle and the upper bar means elevation, so a temple or a spiritual location for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Very nice Thomas
    I had a line in poems I wrote years ago that gels very well with your title here...
    I am the wind in the trees as I move through the human leaves.

The border style is fun to play with. Lots of options and you can just let your hand drift around.
    Very carefree and relaxed. And much more forgiving for those with arthritis.
    Thanks John, I'm particularly glad you like it
    The verse is beautiful and I find it has a somewhat ominous feel, it must be my dark side speaking. I wrote poems a while ago using this kind of metaphors but the theme was pretty gloom and grizzly, that must be why.

My wrists and joints agree with you about the border but the best part is the fun

Did you know there was a smiley face in the border in the lower right hand side?

I'm distracted! Sorry

Another beautiful map - congratulations, Thomas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast