Thread: Two Questions

Default Two Questions

1: Stitching an A3 map that was scanned in two parts in GIMP. The actual stitching is not the problem - what I'm trying to do is actually get the two parts together on one sheet. Is there a way to open an A3 blank file without killing my computer? Whenever I try I'm told that it will take 162 MB :O...
    2: City and location icons. How do I use an icon? I'd like to know how to use one of my own, as well as one I can find on the web....
    I apologise for my lack of digital knowledge
    And thanks in advance.

!62 mb of memory (RAM)?
    A3 files are fairly small, even more if they are empty. you should be able to do that without a problem.

How old is your computer?

I wouldn't remember how old it is - it was brought second-hand... I managed to open an A3 once, but when I tried again this silly problem came up. Once again i feel this might be because of my incredible stupidity in simple things....
    And you can't believe how glad I am that it's anormal.

Either you are doing something wrong but I have no idea what it could be. I use Photoshop not Gimp. It could be a problem with Gimp. Are you on Windows, or Linux?
    Either your computer is extremely old, maybe 10-12 years old at minimum. Then, I'm a little surprised the computer is still working.

How much RAM do you have in your system? It is possible to increase the maximum RAM that GIMP will use. 162MB is not a lot at all these days. The settings in GIMP are in Edit > Preferences > Environment. There you can set the memory use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-05-27 16-58-18.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	107305

Oh and the second question - you can save something as a pattern and use the clone tool to stamp it wherever you need it.
    Last edited by Straf; 05-27-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/