Thread: Chord - Yet Another tectonics/winds/climate/etc World Map Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AzureWings View Post
    Is a mid-ocean subduction that strange? Looking at Earth at least the Pacific and Australian plates seem to have this going on (on the non-Australian/large landmass side of that plate). Nonetheless I also note that subduction is a lot more common (because of crust type density) on oceanic/continental areas so I've reworked many of my convergent plate borders to fall more along the coastlines of major landmasses. Regarding Plate O in particular, I reworked that convergent boundary along with the boundary/directions of plates V2, E, and V although I still have some oceanic subduction where O hits the spreading zone between V and A.
    Yes, or rather oceanic-oceanic (crust) subduction is relatively rare. Even in the Pacific/Australian border there is a lot of continental crust forming the submerged continent of Zealandia. Also note that this zone is the intersection of three major converging plates (Australian, Eurasian and Pacific), creating a rather special situation.

It's worth looking at the formational process behind the area in a bit more detail, here's Australia 65 Mya (blue=continental crust, the rest is oceanic):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Australia 65 Mya.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	509.5 KB 
ID:	107110

Note the ancient orientation of the S. Pacific ridge and the fragments of Zealandia rifting off.

35 Mya:

Name:	Australia 35 Mya.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	578.6 KB 
ID:	107112

Around this time the Tasman Sea ridge has become an extinct ridge and the South Pacific ridge has connected up with the Indian Ocean ridge. Note the formation of several island arcs to accommodate the convergent movements of the Eurasian, Australian and Pacific plates.

And the present day situation:

Name:	Australia 0 Mya.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	552.9 KB 
ID:	107113

I hope this provides some insight into the matter. I'll try and post some extra feedback later.
    Last edited by Charerg; 05-18-2018 at 10:28 AM.