Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2018 Challenge: Messenger Seals from the Duscan Empire

In my opinion, I think the first one is stronger. While the second has some nice color-coordination with the coin pouch, I find the first to be more visually striking and evocative, while the second feels oddly plain in comparison.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AzureWings View Post
    In my opinion, I think the first one is stronger. While the second has some nice color-coordination with the coin pouch, I find the first to be more visually striking and evocative, while the second feels oddly plain in comparison.
    That's my feeling about it, too. Maybe I'll play around with the size of the stamps on the first one. I have another leather option, too, but for now I'm heading back to the basement to battle some more water. I'm switching back to the first option so the WIP scraper picks it up again.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duscan Empire Pouch v2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	9.52 MB 
ID:	107127

I played around with a bunch of different leather pouch options but none of them have the je ne said quoi of this one. I made the stamps a bit larger, since I don't want the maps to be lost in the presentation. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get Post III at least halfway finished.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Duscan Empire Pouch v4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	10.06 MB 
ID:	107150

Slowly making progress.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Duscan Empire Pouch v5.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	10.25 MB 
ID:	107218

It's looking fab, Aeshnidae! The presentation of the whole thing is very well done, but I especially love the antique style of the maps. They look great.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you, ChickPea! I've been using these challenges to try my hand at different techniques and to improve my Photoshop skills (particularly drawing and "painting" with a Wacom Intuos tablet).

Barring the need for minor corrections, I think this is done! I'm also including a picture of the stamp set.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Duscan Empire Pouch v6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	10.41 MB 
ID:	107260

Just the stamps:

Name:	Stamp Set Final.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.64 MB 
ID:	107261

Aaah, I'm definitely in love with your stamps and super happy to see a bigger version of them, thanks ! Your towns remind me medieval illuminations
    I know it's not visible on your main pic, but I would hide the white "waves" out of the frame, but obviously let the islands going over (because islands going out of the frame is one of the coolest thing you can do in cartography in my opinion ).

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Aaah, I'm definitely in love with your stamps and super happy to see a bigger version of them, thanks ! Your towns remind me medieval illuminations
    I know it's not visible on your main pic, but I would hide the white "waves" out of the frame, but obviously let the islands going over (because islands going out of the frame is one of the coolest thing you can do in cartography in my opinion ).
    Thanks, MistyBeee! I was really torn on whether to keep the water lines with the portions of the islands that extend out beyond the frame or get rid of the water lines. I was leaning towards deleting them but then forgot to ask for input, so I'm really glad you brought it up! I also see a tiny mistake where some of the red stamp line bleeds over onto the big island, which I will fix.

I was hoping my towns would look like the ones from medieval maps! I'm really trying to improve my drawing skills. My buildings are usually so linear and symmetrical and I wanted to go for a different look (except for the Gilded Reserve, which is supposed to feel more solid and imposing).

I love your whole setup, but the stamps itself are also stunning. The towns definitely have a medieval feeling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast