Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
It's very interesting to read about your naming process. I experienced something similar with some rashly decisions for place names - and then I stuck to them for years although I didn't really like them. I'm now in a process of re-naming a lot of places and yes, these things take a lot of time.
Thanks Neyasha. Yes, and I find taking my time tends to result in something that I still like when I go back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
I'm always torn back and forth when it comes to similarities to regions of our world (especially when thinking of Westeros, where I hate and at the same time love the worldbuilding), but sure this helps a lot to give others a feeling for a country without explaining too much.
I know what you mean. I guess I don't want to be so direct as saying 'this is Midleset. You can just think of it as England.' Because that's not the case. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that by using certain place names and layouts on a map I'm trying to suggest something to the viewer that will allow them to make certain assumptions about the nature of the places in this world.

So you might subconsciously assume that Midleset is an industrialised nation because you're looking at a Victorian-esque map of a large city, right? Then from that, you begin to equate life in industrialising cities (as you know from world history) with life in Grimmsmouth. There's probably poverty and nobility, and a history of colonialism and imperialism. I think it's fair to say that these are aspects of our own 19th century industrialisation.

These are the type of high level markers I'm trying to put into the viewer's head. It's my cartography attempt at 'show, don't tell.'

Yet here I am telling

But that's only so people might tell me if I'm hitting well wide of the mark here! Thanks again