Thread: What Kinds Of Pencils?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default What Kinds Of Pencils?

I don't draw much other than making my fantasy maps so I was wondering if more seasoned artists could post their opinions on what kinds of pencils they like. I recently bought a starter pack of charcoal pencils and I really enjoy the way they write, but they're a little too thick to get the finer details. Thank you!

I almost never use traditional art, but when I do and I'm using pencils and need fine detail, I use a mechanical pencil.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

It's always a good idea to have a panel of regular pencils about different hardness : a hard 2H for a light sketch, medium HB for first details, soft 2B and 4B for shading and texturing are those I use the most. The advantage it that you can make the tip very sharp (well, less with 6B or 8B) with a knife or a regular sharpener. In my opinion, charcoals are less adapted for maps who requires a high detailing level, but are incredibly expressive for quick sketches like landscapes or portraits