Thread: The Mines of Lorkh WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah I'm not sure about what I want for dpi... I don't "plan" on using my maps for minis, at least not at the moment. I'm going with 50 dpi for now because it works well for VTT apps. But honestly, it makes it hard to see the objects I place down in Photoshop. I've pulled most of my objects from my copies of DD3 and SS2. When I'm viewing the LO (50 pixels per 5 ft) versions on a 24" display at 1920x1200...you can imagine my squinty frustration.

What about people that make maps for VTT or even for minis? What kind of settings do you think would be ideal? And...is it possible to threadjack my own thread like this?

Well it's coming along. But something about it just doesn't feel quite right to me yet. I'm still really trying to emulate the somewhat more hand drawn feel of the newest 4e D&D maps. But it's just a bit "off" still. Does it need more stuff? I don't think so. Maybe something with the outlining? The WotC maps have a much more graphic feel to them than this. I just can't quite put my finger on it though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Mines of Lorkh.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	9935  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks fine. My art instructors used to always hammer in to my head "there's a difference between decorating and design"...which basically means don't be a decorator be a designer, think it out, do it, then leave it alone. The only thing that I might tweak is the green slime, it looks a bit neon to me and I think that part affects the whole.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps