Thread: Lost Island of Queensr˙che

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Map Lost Island of Queensr˙che

My completed map for the April/May 2018 Lite Challenge, “Create a Bookcover.” The challenge required using a given map shape to create a book cover and required all names to be famous musicians/bands. I'm honored to have won this challenge and I appreciate all of the feedback, votes, and lovely comments from my fellow Guild members.

I have a 1957 printing of the Lord of the Rings trilogy; each book has a fold-out map of Middle Earth attached to its inside back cover. I was dusting my bookshelf and for unknown reasons had “Silent Lucidity” by Queensr˙che stuck in my head…and inspiration for this challenge hit. I went for a Middle Earth feel to my map; I haven’t been successful with that before but think I finally came close.

I photographed the plain red cover of Fellowship (without its book jacket) and then fiddled with it in Photoshop. I drew everything else except the text and city icons by hand, using a Wacom Intuous tablet in Photoshop. The trees are mine, but I turned my tree into a brush so I didn't have to do each one individually. The mountains and hills I did draw individually. The font is Party Business, available at dafont.com. The folded paper texture is from OnlyGFX.com. Both font and paper are under a free "any use" license. The city icons are brushes by Schwarzkreuz, which he kindly made available here; I combined two or three of the brushes to make the icons.

WIP thread is here.

Lite Challenge Entry:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Island of Queensryche v8 (sm).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	9.48 MB 
ID:	107159

Map only:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost Island Map (sm).jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	7.15 MB 
ID:	107158

This was a great entry, and well-deserved win. Great to see the map on its own. I love the Tolkien feel.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

A charming map ! The colors are perfect, and as I already said, I'm absolutely fond of your compass
    Congrats for your win !!

PS : Is this a new avatar ?

This is such a clever idea with the old book cover and the fold-out map. And the map is also beautiful just for itself. Congratulations for your win!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Thanks so much, you guys. I'm really glad this map was a hit, and even happier that the Tolkien feel actually worked!

MistyBeee - Yes, it's a new avatar...or at least new here. A friend of mine is a wonderful artist and drew my D&D character for me. Once I realized that my Chocobo robe was hiding my face (and thus my gender), I decided to switch it up. And I'm thrilled that you're fond of my compass - I have enough maps out there now that I wanted a way of incorporating a logo of sorts, but without messing up the feel of the maps. I love dragonflies (hence "aeshnidae") and was delighted to realize they make good cardinal points for a compass rose.