Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Hours during the Summer Solstice

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default Daylight Hours during the Summer Solstice

Here's a new map for my Atlas detailing total hours of daylight during the Summer Solstice.

Though this one looks simple it took a lot of messing about with equations to figure out the total hours of daylight during the Summer solstice by latitude, given that the axial tilt of Elyden (22 degrees 52’) is different to that of Earth. I managed to get it done and added some notable cities to give an idea of how many hours of Daylight they get during the Summer Solstice.

Cities along the polar circle get one day of exactly 24 hours of daylight (though this may seem more due to atmospheric conditions), and the closer to the pole one moved the more days of total daylight you get - to about 6-months at the pole itself.

EDIT: D'oh! i noticed a typo in the hemisphere titles (HEMISHPERE, anyone?) - updated the master file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daylight hours - low-res.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	107478
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-31-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Aaaah, I love this kind of map, full of details and information. It looks really great !

The text is a little confusing to me. This map shows total sunlight for two different days of the year, right? The text makes it sound like both the north pole and south pole get their summer solstices at the same time.

On Earth, the summer solstice is full sun at the north pole, but full dark at the south pole; Earth's winter solstice has the north pole in darkness and the south pole in full sun.

Maybe the text was written by a northern geographer who thinks that the ways of his side of the world are the ways of the whole globe.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The text is a little confusing to me. This map shows total sunlight for two different days of the year, right? The text makes it sound like both the north pole and south pole get their summer solstices at the same time.

On Earth, the summer solstice is full sun at the north pole, but full dark at the south pole; Earth's winter solstice has the north pole in darkness and the south pole in full sun.

Maybe the text was written by a northern geographer who thinks that the ways of his side of the world are the ways of the whole globe.

The first paragraph under the heading 'details' says the different months when the summer solstice is, based on north or south hemisphere. If this were written for the real world it would read: "At the time of the summer solstice, (June 21st in the northern hemisphere and December 21st in the southern hemisphere) the sun is visible in the sky for the full 24 hour period..."

The use of in world months might be confusing. Though it might not be clear-enough? I can easily change it if not

Reading comprehension has never been one of my best skills. I think my confusion stemmed from use of the term "summer solstice" to indicate two separate dates, a usage which would confuse me even if applied to Earth. "Summer solstice" on Earth means when the north pole is tilted toward the sun and I don't care particularly about the opinion of those five clinging to the bottom of the world might have to say about the matter!

I know what you mean to me summer is june - september, not december - March , as would be the case in the southern hemisphere, weird to get my head around sometimes

I have the same northern hemisphere orientation and that lead to the same confusion...
    I was expecting to see a decreasing number of hours of light in the southern hemisphere.

A possible alternative would be to label them the northern solstice and the southern solstice.
    (But I really like the idea of showing the increasing darkness in the other hemisphere.)

Nice work on this! I like the way you're showing the day lenght.

By Vorropohaiah
    Though this one looks simple it took a lot of messing about with equations to figure out the total hours of daylight during the Summer solstice by latitude, given that the axial tilt of Elyden (22 degrees 52’) is different to that of Earth. I managed to get it done and added some notable cities to give an idea of how many hours of Daylight they get during the Summer Solstice.
    Hehe, I know what you means. I've done the same kind of calculations to determine the different day/night/pale day/bright day length according to the date, for my Eldoran project... I spent a lot of time to sort out things with an axial tilt of 21° and 2 suns ; and even more to get a formula in a spreadsheat.

Very cool map. Does Elyden's polar axis wander around at a similar rate to Earth's?

Very nice and informative map. You have my sincerest admiration for figuring this out. My fantasy world also has a different axial tilt than Earth and I just didn't really touch the subject until now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast