Thread: Fantasy Map Convertion from Mercator to Winkel Tripel

Default Fantasy Map Convertion from Mercator to Winkel Tripel

Hello Cartographers.
    It's my first post on that forum and it caught my eye, because of how passionate it seems about making maps.

Right now I'm making a fantasy world map in Photoshop CC and it's rectangular, so it's like it's in mercator projection.
    But does anyone know how can I convert a raster image (like .JPG or .PNG) from mercator to winkel tripel projection?

I saw some post about FlexProject, but it seems like this program is just for manipulating a real world map.
    So do You have any ideas how to solve that problem?

Rectangular does not mean mercator projection, about half on the projections are rectangular.

Flex projector is great for experimenting but if you want something more precise, try Gprojector. It's made by NASA.

Often it is far easier to conceptualize and work with on equirectangular version (aside from the poles of course) and then move it to others. As far as I remember (its been a few years) the input for Gprojector is taken in equirectangular form. If you are interested in working on a globe with poles it might be a good idea to explore options that allow you to paint on a 3D globe and then flay it flat. What those options might be without getting into more fairly complex 3D applications I don't know. Although that said I think it's easier to just sort of ignore the poles, make your map and cut them off (as you would in a Mercator projection in any case).