Thread: Current Project, Any Advice/Criticism

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Map Current Project, Any Advice/Criticism

Hello fellows and good day!

I'm a little new to making maps with any amount of detail in regards to forests, mountains, coastlines and the like. I'm trying to step up my game per-say and was hoping to get some advice on a map that I am currently making on canvas for a very large D&D campaign that I am DMing. So far I have Gothwynn the dwarven state of the Confederacy of Darton finished (that is to say the base line work). I know there are some glaring mistakes pretty much everywhere but anything you guys can give me in regards to advice or feedback of any kind would be most helpful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180616_010746_176.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	107826

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by WokeOak View Post
    Hello fellows and good day!

I'm a little new to making maps with any amount of detail in regards to forests, mountains, coastlines and the like. I'm trying to step up my game per-say and was hoping to get some advice on a map that I am currently making on canvas for a very large D&D campaign that I am DMing. So far I have Gothwynn the dwarven state of the Confederacy of Darton finished (that is to say the base line work). I know there are some glaring mistakes pretty much everywhere but anything you guys can give me in regards to advice or feedback of any kind would be most helpful.

Name:	IMG_20180616_010746_176.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	107826
    Looks great, my professional advice:

1. Roads/paths look like train tracks. Shorten the lines and angle them in different directions. Unless they are train tracks.
    2. Angle your structures and mountain in the same direction, this is subjective, but it helps the eye.
    3. Labels, the border area isn't always consistant. Liholm is a little wavy, Gothwyn is a bit scrollish/flag. Hallbridge has a star, not sure what it is labeling.
    4. Labels part two, excellent using all caps. Just some size constancy like Lake Krol. I'd move Dead Coast out into the water a little more, the map reader will know what they are looking at and you are covering your great shoreline.

Hope that helps, but it looks like a labor of love. Nice to see it coming together.
    "Let your art be your words." ~ me

Welcome!
    It looks like a very good start, WokeOak. I would suggest you to start a WIP in the Regional/World mapping thread, you'll probably have more advices and counsels along the way .

I quite like it! As a calligrapher, however, I can't help but notice that the text lacks a certain polish or pizazz. Perhaps add more stylized writing? A nice uncial always looks good.

Name:	uncial.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	108021

Nice work! I especially like the extra-large location icons; they really give each place a little personality.

The only advice I'd ever consider giving is, like mentioned above, your roads look like traintracks. Unless they're meant to be so! That'd also be cool - how many maps like this do you see with trains being the main mode of transportation?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Nice you are off to a great start!

I agree with Ilanthar, best start this again in WIP (work in progress) side of the site.
    This is going to be a good one!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19