Quote Originally Posted by Aileron View Post
TLR: I personally think there would be a few friendly farmers who would lend a roof and meal for a day of work along the way, and anywhere between 1-4 major stopping points between the two cities for inns, trade, stables, and blacksmiths for wagon repair etc.
Your entire post was wonderfully thought out, and I very much appreciate that. Yes, I had considered there be a few stops, which is part of the reason for asking. I want the story of the travel from the coastal city to the city far to the North West have some stopping point, where a minor conflict occurs, which then kicks off the plot of the protagonist's adventure. And in so doing, it helps me make a lot more sense of my world building too.

And you're absolutely right, I need to consider the agricultural requirements for both of these cities, though the coastal city does have the marine life as a secondary source, the city to the North West does not, its surrounded by large mountains and it sits at the mouth of the valley between those two ridges that lead into the greater continent. But it does have significant wild life and forests around, and a fairly large lake too for fresh water fish and beasts.... And of course there is always the "magic" excuse, but I want to have as much engineered context as possible, even if the eventual reader never knows about it.