Thread: Make a map in collage

Help Make a map in collage

Where I study we have given an assigment of doing any kind of map using collage as technique. What I am going to do is either make a new map or reuse the Zothryae map I made a few months ago. The problem is that I am stuck in the collage part. My first idea was to use pictures of actual places from magazines but they would mesh pretty bad since the map is top view and the pictures would have different angles. The second idea was to take screenshots from google earth and make a realistic map but doing so I would lose the representation of man made structures.

So I want to ask how would any of you do it since I can´t decide which way to make it. Of course If you have ideas different from mine you are welcome to share them.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

It doesn't have to be top down for it to be a map, you can do a pictorial map which would be much better suited for collage work. You can also buy some old maps at a flea market and tear them apart to do it.

Can I ask, what's your major?
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 08-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Guild Journeyer

To me, a collage is not about the details, it's about stepping back and getting distance to see the image. For instance, you can take pictures of buildings to make a face. i.e. think of each small collage image as a set of color pixels, "so hey, this image is kinda of brown overall, so I'm going to put it and a bunch of other brown pictures over here to make a desert."

So, you can find related images, or not, separate by color, and then use them to put together a collage of a larger image. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about, it's a portrait of two people made of of smaller images; https://www.pinterest.com/pin/317926054934660848