Thread: 3D modeler, software dev

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post 3D modeler, software dev

Hello CG.

I'm pfunked. I'm a hobbyist 3d modeler and professional software developer. I spend a lot of my free time making RPG graphics and game engines.

I've been working on an isometric map engine for a tactics-style RPG. Also recently I've picked up the 4th ed. D&D core rulebooks. Reading those books makes me want to drop the "RPG" from my game and just make a miniatures engine.

I came here via penny-arcade's blog post yesterday. I realized that with a simple change of camera I can make dungeon tiles you guys may find useful.

Blender and GIMP are my tools of choice, maybe Inkscape for the rare vector graphic. The following are raw renders from Blender with a simple overhead Ortho cam, using the procedural materials options. These images are 600x600, so each tile is 150x150 (which should be fine for home printing).

I can supply the .blend file if anyone's interested; I can also render 300ppi or higher tiles for anyone who wants.

I release all my works under the Creative Commons Share-Alike license (because I also release my code under the GPL, and they're basically compatable). Please ask if you want to use a different license.

[edit] I've changed these tiles to seamless. Unfortunately it cuts the number of unique tiles in half, but the repeating pattern has a stagger that should help break things up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	9913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	9914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	9915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	9916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	9917  

Last edited by pfunked; 02-03-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: changed tiles to seamless