Thread: Old Abandoned Dwarven Mine - Medusa's Lair

Map Old Abandoned Dwarven Mine - Medusa's Lair

Explore an old abandoned Dwarven Mine, in pursuit of a hideous Medusa that kidnapped an infant. A battle map available for free to use in your home campaigns. Higher resolution versions of the map exist (with added token decorations or without) at 9600x6600 ready to print for supporting Patrons available on my patreon site.

Soon a PDF guide with suggestions on how to run this map at your own home campaigns will follow.

Any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medusas Lair_No Decor_Patrons_LowRes.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	108161

You can follow me on:

Patreon
    Www.patreon.com/dungeonexpedition
    Twitter
    Www.twitter.com/dungeonexpo

Official page: www.dungeonexpedition.com

You can subscribe to my newly created YouTube Channel for some behind the scenes clips: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-K...ia7u8pXWBcTi5g

Very nice play with colors & lights! It makes it very attractive.
    I find it a bit hard to read, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice play with colors & lights! It makes it very attractive.
    I find it a bit hard to read, somehow.
    I agree, really nice looking, but hard to figure out what the playing area is, where the boundaries are.

Default Playable Area Clarification

Hello

thank you for your criticism. Sometimes what is clear to you as a creator is not always clear to players and others in general. All this will be clearly explained of course in the companion PDF but that PDF will not be freely available so let me try and clarify a bit.

I should have eliminated the grid lines entirely for the areas that are not playable (currently they are mostly erased from those dark areas indicating holes leading further down into the mine.

The playable area starts from the top right corner where the entrance to the mine is located (the entrance is that small arch in the cavern wall in the top. The white broken tiles and the areas that are covered with white snow is the playable area for walking creatures. Snowed in areas would add more difficulty to the terrain.

The Black areas indicate a cliff side and a character should be able to fly or risk falling down below. The mine has been severely damaged over the years so walls next to the cliff are not always there. You can see some walls around the cliff to the bottom right of the map that are also covered by Glacier walls (marked by translucent blue). There is also a broken iced-over bridge on that side of the map.

So translucent blue indicates walls made of ice, and the white wall segments are made of stone. Characters could melt the ice and risk bringing the ceiling on top of them though. The area is somewhat linear unless they manage to cross over the broken bridge through the wall of ice. going from the top right downwards in a serpentine fashion through the first gate below in the area with the broken mirrors until it reaches the central seal room and the second bridge to the northern parts of the dungeon.

Finally, the bottom Left corner is a massive wall made by solid ice that could lead potentially to deeper areas of the dungeon.

I appreciate your comments and I hope I helped clarified the map a bit.

I will make an effort to make the playable area clearer in the future.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

This map is really awesome and mystical! If I were to use it on Roll20, I would definitely use the Dynamic Lighting tool to set the boundaries.

:-D

Dani

Default Playing area and boundaries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree, really nice looking, but hard to figure out what the playing area is, where the boundaries are.
    Hello and thank you for your kind words but also your criticism. I suppose in the eyes of the creator everything seems much clearer than they really are to other people.

There are maybe 4 concepts in this map that indicate barriers that are clarified in the accompanying PDF with the adventure notes to this map but that PDF is not freely available to everyone. The exploration would start from the top right area right outside the cave entrance. The playable area is the white stone floor including the areas that are covered with white snow.

Barriers are the broken White walls in the edges of the steep cliffs and blue translucent icy walls and dark brown cavern walls.

The path of the map is somewhat linear (unless characters melt the ice and cross the broken bridge) following a serpentine pattern all the way to the central bridge and the borders part of the map.

The bottom left corner is blocked by a huge icy wall leading potentially to other sections of the dungeon. In the dark cliffs the grid is also somewhat erased that also hints at a non-playable area.

I suppose similarly to movies, if you have to explain it then maybe the target wasn't entirely met.

I hope this brief description helps in shedding some light to this

Thank you

Default Roll20 tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Antenucci View Post
    This map is really awesome and mystical! If I were to use it on Roll20, I would definitely use the Dynamic Lighting tool to set the boundaries.

:-D

Dani
    Hello Dani,

thank you for your kind words. I've been meaning to create a video of running this map on Roll20 with the dynamic Lighting tool and post it on my youtube channel.

I think maybe I'll do that next.