Thread: The Realms of the Ageless

Default The Realms of the Ageless

This was my entry for the May/Jun 2018 Lite Challenge. The WIP fwedd is here.

I wasn't entirely certain where I was going. I drew inspiration for the name from on of the many name generating engines online. I think it was a combination of a couple of things. It gave me a vague notion that that lore behind it was the lands where the 'old ones' came from. Whoever they were. More to do with the earliest beings who set out the early laws and wisdoms of life rather than old codgers complaining about how everything is too fast and nobody has a spine anymore. A blend of ancient Greeks, Indian gurus and mystical monks nestled in the Himalayas surviving on rice, tea and yak butter.

I thought that it would be a great continent for adventurers to go raiding ancient tombs, ruins, towers, temples, and all the other things that they raid. Or a band of learned archaeologists setting out to discover the secrets of the 'old ones' by scientifically redistributing their valuable relics in certain markets in the back rooms of taverns. So another vague notion came to me, that perhaps this could form the basis of a number of tabletop settings. Just add town & city plans, some back stories and some dungeon plans, throw in a few NPCs, a variety of hostile mobs here and there, and of course the epic loot, and it may keep the kids quiet for a few years as they navigate through that tricky stage of life from age 10 to 90.

It seems a bit incomplete as there's no key but I hope that the symbols are pretty self explanatory, especially when taken in tandem with the names of the 'dungeons'. There are 45 of those. I may or may not develop this further in the future but if anyone wants to please feel free to do so. I only ask that a link be provided back to here if it gets used and please ask before using it for any commercial settings. Not that it's at that standard but you never know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realms of the Ageless-final.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	10.59 MB 
ID:	107777

Oh P.S. there's a 7500 x 8000 pixel version but the .png is 240MB which I may be able to share somehow if anyone wants it.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Boy, your cartography skills are making giant's leaps these days ! If I had one minor nitpick, it would be that I'd love to see it with a touch of brighter colors, not too much but a tiny bit more bright. Congrats on producing a geography book grade map

This is a really great map, Straf

Keep going...