Thread: My first map - Tinker's Oasisi

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Is this better? I mean the shading of hills? :-D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dráteníkova_Oáza.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	108374

I think the new version looks great! Not just because the shadows look more realistic, but also because the green of the city now pops out more. Definitely an improvement!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hi! Welcome to the guild.

Is this your first ever map? Or just your first map here on the guild? Either way, great map!

Now, just a tip, if you want to respond to multiple posts from guild members, there is a button right next to the "Reply with Quote" called "Multi Quote". Click on it and any other message to respond to more than one quote in the same message. It will make things a little easier for you.

Onto the map. I really like a lot of what you did with the map. At first could hardly see anything that I would change, but looking closer there things that would sell the map better to onlookers.

The three caves close to each other caught my eye, the way your main light is pointing makes it odd that you have it that way. The top one isn't the one catching the light, it is the bottom of the three, even a bit of the middle one. Now, unless that cave immediately drop down, it wouldn't have a shadow at the entrance, but on the side of it.
    Do yourself a ONCE off favor. Add a big huge Arrow pointing across the map in the direction of the light and then take that fact in and the tweak the shadows of the map. Again, I really like a lot what you did with the map. I am just giving possible ideas you can try.

One other thing struck me as odd, what is the reason for the white blotches where the deepest water of the lakes should be? I would have tried a darker blue there.

I see you really like a cloudy blurred brush for the surrounding lands. If it was me, I would choose one with a touch more detail to just touch up the ground, medium to low opacity. Not to much, just here and there maybe. (Though, this entirely optional.)

Anyway, all of this was added because you asked for feedback. It is truly already a good map. *high five*

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Praise

Amazing attention to details.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the guild.

Is this your first ever map? Or just your first map here on the guild? Either way, great map!

Now, just a tip, if you want to respond to multiple posts from guild members, there is a button right next to the "Reply with Quote" called "Multi Quote". Click on it and any other message to respond to more than one quote in the same message. It will make things a little easier for you.

Onto the map. I really like a lot of what you did with the map. At first could hardly see anything that I would change, but looking closer there things that would sell the map better to onlookers.

The three caves close to each other caught my eye, the way your main light is pointing makes it odd that you have it that way. The top one isn't the one catching the light, it is the bottom of the three, even a bit of the middle one. Now, unless that cave immediately drop down, it wouldn't have a shadow at the entrance, but on the side of it.
    Do yourself a ONCE off favor. Add a big huge Arrow pointing across the map in the direction of the light and then take that fact in and the tweak the shadows of the map. Again, I really like a lot what you did with the map. I am just giving possible ideas you can try.

One other thing struck me as odd, what is the reason for the white blotches where the deepest water of the lakes should be? I would have tried a darker blue there.

I see you really like a cloudy blurred brush for the surrounding lands. If it was me, I would choose one with a touch more detail to just touch up the ground, medium to low opacity. Not to much, just here and there maybe. (Though, this entirely optional.)

Anyway, all of this was added because you asked for feedback. It is truly already a good map. *high five*
    Wau, Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I wanted - as much advice as possible, because this is really my first map ever... Never did that before, but I learned a lot by looking at Mike Schleys maps, some tutorials on youtube and from other sources and this is result.

I will improve the three caves, you are right, the shading and lightning is wrong (partly because I improved the hill shades too hastily). To be honest, I did the trick with the arrow, aiming as the light does, but sometimes it didn't helped me, I am still new in this, so hopefully it will get better with time (it's easy, when the building wasnt in the exact direction of light).

The blotches are geysyers (its acidic water)... Damm, if you didnt recognize that on a first glimps, that has to be improved also... :-D

But, thanks a lot anyways, still have a lot of work on it... :-D

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ladislav Karpianus View Post
    Wau, Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I wanted - as much advice as possible, because this is really my first map ever... Never did that before, but I learned a lot by looking at Mike Schleys maps, some tutorials on youtube and from other sources and this is result.

I will improve the three caves, you are right, the shading and lightning is wrong (partly because I improved the hill shades too hastily). To be honest, I did the trick with the arrow, aiming as the light does, but sometimes it didn't helped me, I am still new in this, so hopefully it will get better with time (it's easy, when the building wasnt in the exact direction of light).

The blotches are geysyers (its acidic water)... Damm, if you didnt recognize that on a first glimps, that has to be improved also... :-D

But, thanks a lot anyways, still have a lot of work on it... :-D

First map ever? *whistles admiringly* You got some skills. My first ever map was nowhere near this. And even my first map here on the guild had quite a few things left to do. Well done.

Hmm, the geysers? I never guessed it. Though, I would suggest something for now. To not have a geyser on ever deep part of the water, then make that one or two a darker color. That would suggest that those white blotches are something different.

Another thing. This map might be best suited in one of the Work in Progress threads WIP. That is if you are really keen making several edits more to this map. (Though, it is your choice )

Looking forward to seeing your update

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Here is my new addition to the map (changed a bit colouring and add descriptions - what do you think?). I posted that on another, more suitable threat and am closing this one! So please reply there. Advice really appreciated!

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...220#post381220

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12