Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: the Gempei War

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a nice map. One bit of feedback: The coastline seems very slightly too blurry for me. The text and logos are very crisp, and so are the mountains etc, and then the coast just doesn't contrast with the sea all that much. Anyway I am hardly suitable as an art critic, ymmv, but there you go anyway.

Post Thanks for the praise! Here's an historic tale.

Thank you for the praise, it is always a great motivating factor in my work!

@ SG - you'll notice on the Taira kamon, which is a swallow tailed butterfly, the lines within the graphic are very fine, and the battle banners they are placed on are very tiny, as well as having a red background (Taira colors were black on red). All those factors work against it for keeping it clean and crisp. The final map may be 200 ppi, to better show these fine details.

@ Bartmoss - I really want to keep the coastal areas as subtle as possible, though I might try a light colored outline just to enhance a bit, we'll have to see.

@ Ascension - yeah, that first font I chose for an oriental brush look, just looked cheap and tacky. So I replaced them with more easier to read fonts, that still had a classy, calligraphic like quality. I agree the news ones are much better. I also prefer the larger type used for my main island names in a semi-transparent white - much better than the previous map.

OK, next story - this one is not a Koizumi Yagumo story, rather its one of the historical accounts taken from the poem of Heike (another name for Taira).

The Challenge at Yashima...

By the start of 1185, the Taira were on the run, the great battle of Ichi no tane the year before, when Yoshi-tsune Minamoto made his hair raising charge from the top of a mountain down a steep incline onto the fortress at Ichi no tane with 50,000 troops caused a complete rout of the Taira forces there. The Taira greatly feared the warrior chief, Yoshi-tsune.

Yashima was a secondary castle for the Taira forces on the Island of Shikoku. The lack of ships for the Minamoto forces gave some relief to the Taira, though they knew that peace would not last long. On March 22nd 1185, the men on the walls saw smoke in the harbor and raised the alarm, Yoshi-tsune is attack us!

With fears of another 50,000 man army coming to their weakened defenses, Lord Kiyomori no Taira declared an evacuation was required. So the forces pulled themselves from their stronghold and headed for the west bay, where their ships could bear them away, along with the infant emperor, Prince Antoku. As they boarded the ships, Kiyomori realized that indeed it was Yoshi-tsune making the attack, but this time, he only had 5000 men doing so. Kiyomori considered returning to the castle and successfully holding off this smaller force - yet at that very moment the castle on the mountain began to burn. No choice, they must leave the island for their own safety then.

As the boats began to pull from shore the Minamoto army reached the harbor and began filling the sky with daikyu arrows felling the men and sailors aboard the 50 or so Taira ships.

Both as a means of redirecting the enemy arrows along with a challenge of honor, Kiyomori opened a fan, tied it to a rope and hoisted it up the mainsail of the Taira flagship.

In training and tournaments Japanese archers traditionally use a folding fan as a target tied to a rope or tree. Being about the size of a man's face, it was deemed a suitable target for practice.

Kiyomori sought to direct the Minamoto arrows at the fan, instead of his escaping people. Already far from shore, they were almost beyond the distance of arrow fire.

One young Minamoto samurai, determined to hit the fan or kill himself trying, rode is horse into the surf, pulled an arrow placed in his daikyu bow, aimed and loosed the arrow in a high arc. All were silent on the shore and sea. Finally the arrow struck and shattered the fan.

All historical accounts agree that both the Minamoto and the Taira cheered in awestruck pride at the miraculous shot.

Then the fleet headed west, aiming to place a new stronghold in Kyushu with plans to meet their Honshu forces at the Straits of Shimonoseki - the place known as Dan no ura, a place that would be remembered for all time...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-07-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post I generally don't create object oriented maps

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Lovely work, GP and it looks like a departure from your usual style. Lots of character to the map - wonderful work!
    Yeah, I generally don't create object oriented maps. This is something in the style of CC3, though of course I used my stand-by Xara Xtreme for creating it. You do notice the Ukiyo-e map objects in this don't you, Ravs.

I plan to add the Kamon crests, and war banners for each house to my Ukiyo-e symbol set, from this challenge.

Besides have you read in of my included stories in this thread? I am trying to increase the Japanophile in all of us!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Haven't had time to read the whole story yet, but I will! Lol...now I see how you intended the map objects to be used (I still prefer using them to make pieces of art though

Post Map and Legend

The Map and Legend portion of the entry is complete. I plan to create a plate of Ukiyo-e illustrations of the major players. Goal is to end up with a hanging wall screen on a reed mat, with the three pieces, top to bottom: illustrations, map and legend. I have yet to create the illustrations, but have found reference art for all concerned.

I rearranged some of the mountains, placement incorrect in a couple places. I added three more kamon. I discovered Fukuhara-kyo, the Taira headquarters is located where Kobe, Japan is today, which is near Ichi no tane in the province of Settsu, not Kii as on previous map. I added a compass rose, scale description line, and my "by-line" at the bottom.

The legend shows map region vs. the rest of Japan, an explanation of battle site symbols and the primary kamon crests of the map, the major map symbols used for sites and terrain.

Almost complete! Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genpei-war.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	10130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genpei-legend.jpg 
Views:	2431 
Size:	888.5 KB 
ID:	10131  
    DrivethruRPG store

Minor nitpick: The mountain right east of hiroshima goes over the land-line and into the ocean. I don't know if that's on purpose thou

Love the map Gameprinter!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Fixed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Minor nitpick: The mountain right east of hiroshima goes over the land-line and into the ocean. I don't know if that's on purpose thou
    Fixed it, thanks! How is your map coming, I've seen no updates from you lately?

Once I create all the illustrations, I will upload the completed project with your suggested fix!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

I try to check into the forums every day, but I can't seem to free up my time to get any work done. I'll get on it thou.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast