Thread: February Entry: the Gempei War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I didn't use CC3

I'd love to be able to help you out, only I didn't use CC3 to create this map. I use a vector drawing application called Xara Xtreme.

You might want to search for CC3 tuts in this forum, I do believe there is a tutorial for importing outside scanned or digital image files into CC3 to do your tracings and what not.

Basically what I did, I found an accurate coastline map of Japan (found online) imported it and carefully traced it to achieve the detailed realistic land shape. Then started coloring and placing objects. Somewhat similar to how this would be done in CC3 I am sure.

I hope you find what you need and I hope CC3 does for you what my chosen app does for me - good luck!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hey,

Yah, I found the thread that talks about importing a scan and tracing in CC3. Thanks for the heads up.

CW

Post Inspired by my own map

Threadjack: my gaming group is playing a high level D&D 3.5 adventure series homebrew, where I'm playing a high level fallen paladin/black guard. I had a ring that I thought was regeneration, but it turned out when I died, I was transformed into a death knight - weee!

So inspired by my own map, I decided to give my Black Guard/Death Knight a new personae (I hadn't even named the character before he died.) So now he is the Death Shogun, Taira no Kiyomori.

Interestingly, the actual Taira no Kiyomori, the loser in the Genpei War, is actually venerated by the Japanese, out of fear of his wrath. In the Shinto faith, it is believed everyone becomes gods or spirits when they die and often become ancestral spirits within a given family or clan. Usually a memorial altar is placed in the home for familial worship of lost loved ones. However, some die to become gods of a higher level. Hachiman the god of war, is actually a former emperor from the 4th century.

The Japanese believe that unless Taira no Kiyomori is venerated, he will return to this world and bring wrath and destruction to the Empire of Japan, because was wronged in life. Though he lost the Genpei War, by supporting a legitimate heir to the throne, his cause was a just one.

In the center of Tokyo, between skyscrapers, a small Shinto Shrine dedicated to Taira no Kiyomori sits. This shrine has daily offerings of money, food and other trinkets placed by Japanese businessmen, in efforts to prevent economic destruction to Japan's commerce.

Being venerated and feared, made him the ideal historical figure to define my new D&D character.

End Threadjack...

GP

PS: its been a while since I created an illustration for one of my characters. I decided that this one deserved an illustration, in the style and inspiration of the Genpei War map. Enjoy!

PPS: you know, I think the CWBP needs a Japan like territory, and this guy should be the head honcho for the place - I need an island guys to develope and map this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	death-shogun.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	10435  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-16-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations