Thread: Sorandib-Commission

Map Sorandib-Commission

Hi Folks,

These maps have been approved by the client with the only changes from the last post in the WIP thread being updating the fonts to the clients preference.

Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baths of Basg.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	108803

Name:	old city inn flrs.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	108804

Name:	Old City Inn.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	108805

Name:	Outlaw Fort.png 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	108806

Name:	Palace Hill Dungeons.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	108807

Name:	scriptorium V3.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	783.8 KB 
ID:	108808

Name:	talok temple.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	108809

Name:	zygas taga temple.png 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	108810
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Nice an clean work, Damon!
    I think the dungeon is probably my favourite .

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I think my favorite part of all these maps is the content inside them. The tables, chairs, and the like are incredibly clean and precise making them easy to discern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice an clean work, Damon!
    I think the dungeon is probably my favourite .
    Thanks Ilanther! You're not alone re the dungeon. I showed the WIP's to some of my non-gaming/non-arty friends and colleagues as well as this community and the dungeon was a winner It helps when you're given good sketches to work from though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fink Barrentine View Post
    I think my favorite part of all these maps is the content inside them. The tables, chairs, and the like are incredibly clean and precise making them easy to discern.
    Thanks David. I'm really glad you like and appreciate them; they were by far, the most time consuming part of the project. All of the furnishing apart from the beds, stairs, the statue in Bath of Basg map and the majority of doors, were created by liberal use of the Marquee tools with an appropriate stroke (then selected & copied) and the rugs and fireplaces also made good use of Photoshop's in-built shape tools, to give an almost vector based look. I'll probably copy them to Ai and trace them though for future use...at some stage.

The client's happy which is the main thing and if I may say, got excellent bang for his buck. Out of curiosity, what do you folk think would be a fair price for this set of maps? Please bear in mind, I get (well, at least I have so far) excellent sketches to work from as an art brief.

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I've not done a paid gig for this kind of work as of yet, but I have done paid gigs for photography on several different occasions and from that I generally charge 75 an hour, but I think for illustration I would probably go lower, for me personally. I'd probably hit something more like 30-35 an hour considering, with contractor agreement, you'll paying your own taxes out of what you make.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fink Barrentine View Post
    I've not done a paid gig for this kind of work as of yet, but I have done paid gigs for photography on several different occasions and from that I generally charge 75 an hour, but I think for illustration I would probably go lower, for me personally. I'd probably hit something more like 30-35 an hour considering, with contractor agreement, you'll paying your own taxes out of what you make.
    Thanks for the reply David. Unfortunately, at the moment, I get paid a flat rate per map, which for the simple maps; the fort and temples for example, is kind of OK, as I can knock those over relatively quickly. The other maps in this set were another matter altogether as I had to create the majority of the assets from scratch. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not in it for the money, if I were, I would need to get my speed up considerably to be making a decent hourly rate. It probably doesn't help that I'm a bit O.C.D. when it comes to this stuff (for the paid work) and I give it my absolute best. I don't want anything of mine being published that I'm not 100% OK with, though admittedly, I guess you have to draw the line somewhere...

I've also started re-drawing some of the assets in Ai as symbols for future use, which will save loads of time later.

Finished Maps

Nice work on these. Everything's beautifully crisp and clear. Agree that the dungeon is also my fave!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice work on these. Everything's beautifully crisp and clear. Agree that the dungeon is also my fave!
    Thanks CP. Glad you like'em.

Finished Maps