Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Camorr

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Can I ask what you're using to draw this? Here's the thing; your buildings have lots of really nice straight lines, something I have a lot of trouble with. If you have some secrets I could steal, er, copy, umm, learn from? I'd really appreciate it.

I'm using an intuos 5 tablet and photoshop. When I go to make the lines for the houses, I'm holding down the shift button. That forces the line to be straight. I do the whole house this way, then use the marquee tool to select the building and position it where I want it on the map.

I almost started using Illustrator, but decided against it because I do want some variation in the thickness of the line that I get with the pen pressure from the brushes. Can't quite get the same organic effect from using AI's pen tool.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Fink Barrentine View Post
    I'm using an intuos 5 tablet and photoshop. When I go to make the lines for the houses, I'm holding down the shift button. That forces the line to be straight. I do the whole house this way, then use the marquee tool to select the building and position it where I want it on the map.

I almost started using Illustrator, but decided against it because I do want some variation in the thickness of the line that I get with the pen pressure from the brushes. Can't quite get the same organic effect from using AI's pen tool.
    Thanks! That's a really good tip. I hadn't thought of drawing along the grid and repositioning after. This community really is the best, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Great map. Villages like this are always welcome for gaming.

Mike Schley has been a huge influence in my learning process for these. I've loved his work since I saw it for the first time in the Dnd starter set. I've pushed my map work by studying his style pretty heavily.

He introduced me to this site about a week ago and now I'm finding a ton of new people I like on here. I figure I'll try to copy a few different styles for a bit and then produce my own.
    Welcome to the guild then. There is a lot of us who mimic different styles to learn new things (me included). I am looking forward to see more or your maps.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

One method you could try to speed up the process/save time is to use the stroke layer style. Set the stroke layer style to your colour (presumably black) and preferred thickness. Then draw the whole building using the line tool set to the width of your building. You can draw it using a line the colour of the roof, or you can set the fill to 0 so that it doesn't actually "fill" in the colour at all and you just have the outline. Then just rasterize the whole layer so you're simply left with a layer of black outlines.

Also this map is coming along great.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map. Villages like this are always welcome for gaming.
    Thanks! I'm going to consider this a warmup for the city maps I'm going to have to make really soon. I've got 4 that I want to create soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I am looking forward to see more or your maps.
    Well, hopefully I can keep the steam going for a bit. I did a count of how many I need for what I'm working on and if I recall off the top of my head it's 27 and so far I've got 2 finished so I'm really hoping to add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    One method you could try to speed up the process/save time is to use the stroke layer style. Set the stroke layer style to your colour (presumably black) and preferred thickness. Then draw the whole building using the line tool set to the width of your building. You can draw it using a line the colour of the roof, or you can set the fill to 0 so that it doesn't actually "fill" in the colour at all and you just have the outline. Then just rasterize the whole layer so you're simply left with a layer of black outlines.
    I've never messed with stroke layer styles before. I'm going to have to mess around with it and see how I feel about it. I would very much like to create just a list of different items I can recycle to help speed things up.

Map

I feel like I'm done with this one. I took the advice to lessen the width of the border. The only thing left for what I'm going to do with this is add labels and a key but I'm still playing with the layout for it.

Anyway, current progress.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old-camorr-final.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.76 MB 
ID:	108989

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12