Thread: City Map First Attempt

Guild Novice

Wip City Map First Attempt

Hello Guild,

I'm working through pyrandons_city_map_tutorial_pt1_214 and I've got a problem.

There's an outline of dark blue around the coast and rivers... I can't figure out where it is and how to get rid of it. It's not too important because I'm doing these to get a feel for mapmaking and photoshop more so than the actual resulting map.

I realise that I have to read alot about how rivers and mountains evolved to be successful in this. Any critique is welcome. Thank you.

Here's my progress so far:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City_Town001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	109065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City_Town002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	109066

Guild Novice

Wip Update

Roads and city inserted.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	City_Town003.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	109113

Guild Novice

Wip

Castle and walls added in

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	City_Town004.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	109140

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

That is a good start L.KC! For the rivers, keep in mind that they flow down from the mountains to the sea, and that lakes are in the lowest points between mountains. I like the overall shape, but may I suggest that you concentrate your efforts on the drawing rather than with colors for the moment? You may find that it will make you focus on the other topography details instead! Good job!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    That is a good start L.KC! For the rivers, keep in mind that they flow down from the mountains to the sea, and that lakes are in the lowest points between mountains. I like the overall shape, but may I suggest that you concentrate your efforts on the drawing rather than with colors for the moment? You may find that it will make you focus on the other topography details instead! Good job!
    Thank you for your advice. I'm working through the tutorial, I'm doing exactly like them and that's why there is colour. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi!

I saw this one for a while now. I wanted to give feedback so badly the last while, but alas, this is so far removed from the styles and techniques I know.
    Anyway, I wanted to wish you good luck and hope you have fun with this one.
    City maps are quite the challenge I must admit. It takes patience to see through, so I do hope you can get through the frustrating parts of city maps and continue to improve this one.

I will say two things, one it is kind of hard to see what you are up to with such tiny preview images. So, making a bit bigger might help in seeing where you are going with things.
    Two, I know you put in another map before this one, I do think focusing on one and figuring it out as you go is better than spreading yourself thin over multiple maps. Though, I myself do sometimes take a day off to experiment on other things to get my brain fresh before I go on with my main map. It is just a suggestion, but if you have big breakthroughs with one map, the next time the things you learned from polishing and maybe finishing a map will make the following project run more smoothly.

Most importantly, have fun.

P.S. I take it that tutorial you are doing has a layer effect that comes into play later on?
    Last edited by XCali; 08-04-2018 at 07:20 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Member Guild Supporter nwisth's Avatar

Hi! Cool start. Photoshop never ceases to reveal fresh secrets! The terrain or the river looks like it has a stroke effect on it - that should be the faint outline you're seeing. If you turn that off, it ought to go away.

-Niels