Thread: Wow, what an exciting place! I am Oli from Royale Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Wow, what an exciting place! I am Oli from Royale Maps

First off, I am really excited about this forum.
    I love the old school feel of it (i was born in 1980!) and of course I love maps.

My new business venture (Royale Maps) led me to this forum as I was doing some research.

I am French, but I moved with my family to the Isle of Man, you guys who are into fantasy worlds like myself would love this Island. We have cats with no tails, one of the oldest steam engine train, the world's largest active waterwheel, mysterious Celtics stone patterns and many local legends.

With my partner we just started Royale Maps, because of course we love maps, but also home decor styling.
    We hand-draw ornamental maps from a large display tablet and then print them on museum-quality cotton paper.
    Each maps takes weeks to draw of course, so we have just released 3 of them (Isle of Man, Florida and the Hawaiian islands).
    We study real places, but we are a creative couple with lots of ideas, and I personally love SF as well (from Jules Vernes to Dan Simmons) so we will at some point touch on fictional themes.

Royale Maps re-introduces old-fashioned ornamental maps to the 21st century with a new purpose. We celebrate and illustrate what makes places of our real world magical, their legends, but also wildlife, endangered fauna & flora or fascinating geological topics (like volcanism for the Hawaiian Islands).

I would love to share our maps on this forum and get your feedback, but firstly I am not here for self promotion but share a passion, and secondly, as our maps represent real places, I don't know if it's of any interest to you? So I guess I'll find out chatting with you guys.

I love looking at the member's maps, I'm creative person, and love to loose myself into your worlds, so thank you.
    As I am French, it's also important for me to find good excuses to write in English as much as possible. So feel free to correct me, you will be helping me

I guess that's enough for now, looking forward to getting to know you all!

Cheers.

Hi Oli,

What a fantastic venture that sounds like! I’ve just had a look at your IOM map, and it looks amazing. You have definitely moved to a glorious part of the world too (I am just across the water in North Cumbria, just on the northern edge of the Lake District.

Welcome to the Guild!

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and nice to meet you!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi! Welcome to the guild!

I really like the aged feel of your maps. It is awesome. I do say, there are so many different types of cartographers on this site, so I feel you will fit right in.

I am curious about that cotten paper you use for your maps. I don't think I've heard of it.

Enjoy your stay, and have a nice day,
    Omri(XCali)

P.S. After 5 posts it gets way easier to post.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-28-2018 at 01:02 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected NarramoreArt's Avatar

I've had a look at your website, and the maps you produce look just lovely!
    Mapping real places is something I have experience with, and I have to admire the dedication of anyone who does it.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work in future

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the guild!

I really like the aged feel of your maps. It is awesome. I do say, there are so many different types of cartographers on this site, so I feel you will fit right in.

I am curious about that cotten paper you use for your maps. I don't think I've heard of it.

Enjoy your stay, and have a nice day,
    Omri(XCali)

P.S. After 5 posts it gets way easier to post.

Thank you very much and nice meeting you!
    It's nice to know that we can fit in and share our work too even if we study real places for now.
    I need to craft a nice elaborated signature like you

Does your screen show the work cotten paper? Because I wrote cotton paper.
    Do you have a mapmaking plugin that inserts voluntary words modification into your work to fight plagiarism?

Quote Originally Posted by NarramoreArt View Post
    I've had a look at your website, and the maps you produce look just lovely!
    Mapping real places is something I have experience with, and I have to admire the dedication of anyone who does it.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work in future
    It's nice meeting you and thank you for your feedback, and you're from the UK too!
    We will publish our work here but I'm not sure which thread is the most appropriate for us?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oli Stark View Post
    Thank you very much and nice meeting you!
    It's nice to know that we can fit in and share our work too even if we study real places for now.
    I need to craft a nice elaborated signature like you

Does your screen show the work cotten paper? Because I wrote cotton paper.
    Do you have a mapmaking plugin that inserts voluntary words modification into your work to fight plagiarism?

The signature is relatively easy to do in settings.

Um, I guess I must have misspelled it. My bad.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19