Thread: What do you think about my map?

Map What do you think about my map?

Hey guys, I'm new here and would like to know what you think about my map?
    It isn't finished yet so any suggestions (like names for towns, rivers etc.) are welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	912.8 KB 
ID:	111671

Hi Mercury, and welcome to the Guild. I moved your thread to Regional/World Mapping, since it's not finished yet (Finished Maps is for maps that are, well, finished!)

Your maps looks very nice, but there are a couple of issues with your rivers. Firstly, practically all lakes have an outflow (there are some exceptions, but they're very rare). If you add a river flowing from your lake perhaps either to the right edge of your map, or maybe to connect to the river that's at the very bottom right, that would fix that. The other issue you have is with your river splitting to the right of Amaderas. We've got a thread here that explains the basics of how rivers work. Might be worth a read through the first page or two.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

To add to what ChickPea said about lakes with no outlet being very rare: they are also usually very dead, because they get *extremely* salty; the only place for the water to go is to evaporate and it leaves all its minerals behind. Think of the Dead Sea on Earth as a real-world example.

So if you want fish and other life in that lake, it *needs* an outlet.

Actually lakes without oulets aren't that rare, just look at the map of all the endorheic basins of the world. Those lakes aren't always dead, lake Balkach is a good example, and it's huge. It could also be an inner sea like the Caspian or Aral sea, which would not be salty if the inflows weren't deflected. Here there are mountains blocking it, so it's not a bad idea to have that lake. For the splitting river, there are not very realistic but sometimes in areas like Finland or Canada where there are plenty of lakes a lake have several outlets (look at Bifurcation lake on wikipedia) or just for no reasons (river bifurcation).

Hi Mercury, I like the feel of the map, however the icon stamps you used for the towns really need a background or underlay for when they go over the water, otherwise it's visually confusing.