Thread: Map Request Form template

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Info Map Request Form template

Hello fellow cartographers.

Being a professional illustrator I get many quotations requests for maps.
    As you may guess, I hardly ever get all the details I need from the start, and have to ask the same questions over and over again.

Over time I developed an online form that I can redirect all inquiries to, serving the double purpose of saving me time asking and explaining the same thing every time, and having the prospect client take an extra step and think about crucial things such as licensing rights.

Therefore, I'd like to share the latest version of my Map Request Form.
    Please feel free to take inspiration from it, change it and adapt it to your needs for your own quotations.

Also feel free to give me some feedback about the form, if there is anything you feel could be improved.

===========
    TOOLS
    ===========

For this form I used a paid Wordpress plugin called WPForms (there is a free version of it but some interesting features, like files uploads, are Pro only)
    Alternatively I can recommend Google Forms, which is very flexible and I have previously used for the same purpose.

It's great, Onez, thanks a lot for both the idea and the sharing !
    I have a similar problem, as many of map makers I assume, and this looks lile a great solution !
    Can I ask you something about it ? I assume it can happens that people contact you from a different source than your website (maybe Instagram, Deviantart, or even here...) : do you redirect them to the form ?

And maybe an addition : I love to ask if my client has a specific inspiration to reflect on the map : medieval, steampunk, futuristic, asian, aztek... Always good to know

Looks like a good idea.

A bit off topic: One thing that has always been rather murky for my understanding is exactly how much the licensing affects price. Like if they want the copyright does one charge 4x(time x hourlyrate) or what how does one determine what that copyright is actually worth to the one selling it? Another issue is is if you are making a map regarding an already copyrighted product, you own the map you make obviously, but they own everything in the map already so what happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Can I ask you something about it ? I assume it can happens that people contact you from a different source than your website (maybe Instagram, Deviantart, or even here...) : do you redirect them to the form ?
    I get all my requests by e-mail, but I would redirect ALL inquiries to the form, regardless of where they come from. That's why it's a page on my website but it has a different, stand-alone layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    A bit off topic: One thing that has always been rather murky for my understanding is exactly how much the licensing affects price. Like if they want the copyright does one charge 4x(time x hourlyrate) or what how does one determine what that copyright is actually worth to the one selling it?
    I have an excel file for quotes, with lots of variables. You put in your hourly rate or $$-per-mm2, select the licensing options and it calculates the total.
    For the variables I used different multipliers, for example exclusivity is a +15% on the base rate, work for hire is +200% and so on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	109257

All variables can be edited and I keep adjusting them.
    I can share it if you are interested but it's still visually rough and not so easy to edit.

On a general level I would say it is mostly a matter of common sense, experience and business wisdom.
    The formulas are only a tool to start from and save some time.

Another issue is is if you are making a map regarding an already copyrighted product, you own the map you make obviously, but they own everything in the map already so what happens then?
    That's a very swampy area that I have never personally encountered.
    I would guess that if, for example, you make a map of Middle Earth you would own the copyright to the map itself, but would be limited in the economic exploitation of it by the copyrighted material you are using.

There are some interesting articles out there about fanart and copyright.
    This video is pretty comprehensive on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBsTUjd910
    I don't know if it is still current though.
    Last edited by onez; 08-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.

how does one determine what that copyright is actually worth to the one selling it?
    That is the key issue. We as creators need to be able to guess how a client is going to, and is able to, exploit the work economically.
    AND how the rights you are giving away prevent YOU from exploiting the work commercially.

The more the client is going to (or is potentially able to) use the artwork, the more value the copyright has.
    The copyright for a privately commissioned piece (let's say a DM who wants a decent map for their campaign) is definitely worth less than that of a piece for a publisher or an advertising agency.

For example, if I make an illustrated map of Italy, I personally might not have many uses for it, but a publisher who wants the copyright can then use it in endless books (think of publishers like DK), even sell it further to third parties.
    This means it has GREAT value for them, and should be charged accordingly.

This is a great thread. Much value in here.
    I need to automate this process as well.
    I end up repeating these steps too often.
    Too busy at this moment to do it...
    cus I'm dealing with this very thing of emails and quotes.

I'll have to revisit this on the weekend.
    Thanks for starting this thread Filippo.

edit - drats. I want to rep you for this, but gotta spread the rep first.
    I'll be back.

Thanks onez! I've actually got something similar. I've got a list of questions on my contact page. Most of the time this is enough for people to let me know the details I need.

The subject of determining value of copyright is interesting indeed. I go about it much like you do, asking myself how much the copyright is worth to them and how much it might be worth for me.

Very very helpful information onez. Thank you very much for this
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee