Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test map (Eguisheim 1400)

Default Test map (Eguisheim 1400)

I'm taking a break on my large (or rather tiny ) town drawing, to test out a few things, mainly nature details like forests and vineyards, and also to try a slightly larger scale. I could do those tests as random sketches, but instead i decided to start a smaller new town drawing for it, which will show the Alsacian town of Eguisheim by the year 1400. I picked that subject for a few reasons - first of all, it has all the nature stuff in it that i want to try out, then the town has a few very special features that make it stand out even in its region which is full of pittoresque historic towns, and at last it's not that big, so drawing it will hopefully not take too long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eguisheim1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	108980

To give a quick description: By the year 1400 the town already had the same shape as it has today, featuring an almost unique octogonal castle, a romanesque church (it has been replaced by a new one except for the tower by the late 18th century, the plan of the old church is known though), a double town wall and an exceptional set of 5 monastic granges formerly belonging to well-known alsacian monasteries like Unterlinden at Colmar or Marmoutier, and one owned by the Strasbourg diocese. Those yards, the castle, the church and its presbytery leave rather little space only for houses of the normal population, which explains why the double town wall was built over by houses already by the 16th century.

For the houses of this drawing (which all have to be in a 14th century and older style) i have a few references, mainly at Colmar, Riquewihr and some other small places in the region. The castle is semi-properly researched (mainly old works of the 19th century), but i think it is sufficient to produce credible reconstruction of it.

PS: I just decided to link a few images of the references that i've got:

Colmar, place de l'ancienne douane, late 14th century
    Colmar, place de la cathédrale, also late 14th century
    Wissembourg, rue de la laine, late 14th or early 15th century
    Amorbach (Bavaria), Templerhaus, 1291
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-27-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Ok, you already got me
    *sitting in the corner by the window, eating a bretzel*

Not much progress yet on this one, but at least one bit can be called done: The grange of the monastery of Pairis, with its own chapel.

Name:	75AEB4A6-7366-46AA-AF4D-538C8EE59330.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	109000

A bit of progress on this map, including the church. Another update will probably come later this evening.

Name:	CEC5EAD1-ABD1-4083-B69D-A9255B1EC6CE.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	109016

Yup, you’ve got me hooked too!

I'm genuinely excited to see your progress each update! This is looking great too and I can't wait to see how you work in some nature

Thank you all for the kind words!

I announced another update yesterday evening, and it didn’t happen, so i gotta do it now.

By now, a good third of the town is visible in a three-dimensional way, and a decent bit of its southern half is already detailed. The latest progress includes the castles and with it a first test of techniques, in this case the visualization of still water, like in that moat. In my opinion, drawing reflections is the most efficient way, and apart from a bit of refinement on future works, i‘m quite happy with the result.

First, the whole town in its current condition:

Name:	4428437B-25EE-49D3-9B95-520255F43427.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	109030

And now its central part with the castle and the already mentioned water reflections:

Name:	B7435824-9B83-4666-8C75-82AA22E9B6F2.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	109031

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Fascinating way to go about things. I think this is a great way going about this perspective for a city or town

Though, I have to be honest that the buildings seem to be leaning. I know you are a ways into the map. But, I just wanted to make a note of what I'm observing.

Anyway, love this so far. The attention to detail is lovely!!!

(When you draw the buildings, try to draw the vertical lines straight up, not skew. It will help with the leaning thing.)(Good luck.)
    Last edited by XCali; 07-30-2018 at 04:16 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thanks to you as well.

About the leaning, it depends on two factors. First of all, i sometimes have quite bad cases of leaning buildings. But in this case it’s all the fault of me taking photos with my phone without paying attention to an orthogonal photo angle. To show an example.

This photo creates an image of a moderately leaning town with a badly leaning gatehouse.

Name:	94C32DD1-FAAB-4F27-BF00-D53FB894E8DD.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	109032

When i move it over a bit, where i‘ve placed a ruler aligned to the edge of the paper, it becomes obvious that the photo angle is the problem.

Name:	D61178DE-391A-46BF-BCD9-EDC4533B8CD6.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	109033

And now, to give an absolute proof, the whole sheet with the ruler.

Name:	0D10201F-D38A-4BD0-A1C6-B8F8B79382A6.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	109034

I gotta admit though that i had to correct bits on the east gatehouse and the castle before today’s first update - and the chapel, which is still leaning a bit though.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodowech View Post
    Thanks to you as well.

About the leaning, it depends on two factors. First of all, i sometimes have quite bad cases of leaning buildings. But in this case it’s all the fault of me taking photos with my phone without paying attention to an orthogonal photo angle. To show an example.

This photo creates an image of a moderately leaning town with a badly leaning gatehouse.

Name:	94C32DD1-FAAB-4F27-BF00-D53FB894E8DD.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	109032

When i move it over a bit, where i‘ve placed a ruler aligned to the edge of the paper, it becomes obvious that the photo angle is the problem.

Name:	D61178DE-391A-46BF-BCD9-EDC4533B8CD6.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	109033

And now, to give an absolute proof, the whole sheet with the ruler.

Name:	0D10201F-D38A-4BD0-A1C6-B8F8B79382A6.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	109034

I gotta admit though that i had to correct bits on the east gatehouse and the castle before today’s first update - and the chapel, which is still leaning a bit though.
    Ah! Taking photos of maps are notoriously hard. So, I know the feeling.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast