Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2018 Challenge: From Fishing Hole to Village

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Wip August 2018 Challenge: From Fishing Hole to Village

I really wanted to participate in the "opposing seasons" lite challenge but didn't have time to get started. Yet I couldn't get the winter/summer concept out of my head, so I decided to show an ice fishing hole grow into a village over several seasons. I need to add log piles, boxes, and such to #2 and footprints and such to #3. Hopefully work will be slightly less crazy and I'll be able to finish this.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village Timeline.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	10.62 MB 
ID:	109645

My main comment right now is that the footprints look enormous. If you compare the size of the horses for example, the footprints look like they were made by giants.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    My main comment right now is that the footprints look enormous. If you compare the size of the horses for example, the footprints look like they were made by giants.
    Yep, I just noticed that earlier today! I will add that to my list of corrections, since this village is not inhabited by giants.

Yey, welcome Aeshnidae ! It was so sad to see you absent from challenges, but I hope you had some great time !
    It's fun to see you mixing the two challenges ! I love this new start

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Yey, welcome Aeshnidae ! It was so sad to see you absent from challenges, but I hope you had some great time !
    It's fun to see you mixing the two challenges ! I love this new start
    Thanks, MistyBeee! I was sad to miss the last couple of challenges but work has been crazy. I've been pulling 60-80 hour weeks for the last month. It really cuts into my mapping and bumming around the Internet time!

That’s looking excellent Jen! I love the idea of using footprints!

Also, I think you were having me on about not being able to draw a straight line! Those are the srraightest freehand lines I have seen for a long time (on the buildings). I had to zoom right in to figure that out!

...oh yes, and I love the waterwheel!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    That’s looking excellent Jen! I love the idea of using footprints!

Also, I think you were having me on about not being able to draw a straight line! Those are the srraightest freehand lines I have seen for a long time (on the buildings). I had to zoom right in to figure that out!

...oh yes, and I love the waterwheel!
    Thanks, Tonquani! As for the straight lines, what you didn't see was me muttering curses to myself while re-drawing some of those lines over and over and over again until they were finally straight! I appreciate your guidance on how to accomplish straight lines freehand, though! It helped tremendously. And I appreciate MistyBeee's input on an earlier challenge, which helped me get the waterwheel looking good. Now I want to put waterwheels in all of my maps!

Nice idea and it looks very good so far!

I made it to vacation! I finally have a few days away from work craziness so I was able to work on the challenge. I'm going to add some wood piles to 1 and need to do a bunch of work on 3. I have discovered that footprints are worse than trees.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village Timeline v2 (sm).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	109740

I'm glad to see you made some progress.

A couple of comments on frame 1
    - The wagon is facing the way it came, but there aren't any tracks for it turning around. (I'm sure they didn't back the wagon in.)
    - Also, I would expect to see hoof prints from the horses / oxen.
    - The wagon tracks should be a constant spacing apart.
    - The foot prints - a lot of work here but... I would expect the prints to be spaced about 2 1/2 - 3 times the length of the footprint. (Shorter on sloping terrain.)
    - I would expect the footprints to converge into a 'mess' at the wagon and at the camp site. (It's easier to walk on snow that is already packed down.)
    - I like the footprints leading to the tree.

You've eliminated most the foot prints in frame 3, which seems appropriate. But I would expect to see a fresh trail for the wagon that is leaving since it is on virgin snow. Or move it onto the trail and make the trail wider. And I'd suggest either eliminating the footprints on the ice or adding tracks and hoof prints for the wagon.

Oh, and boats normally end up pointing up stream when they are tied to a dock. The inside and outside of the end of L-shaped dock are good mooring places. (I have friends that live on a river...)

Looking good so far.

p.s. The length of shadows should be proportional to the object's height.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast