Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Series of travel maps (hand drawn)

Guild Apprentice

Map

### Latest WIP ###

Final version

Attachment 109877

Do you have any suggestions or comments? What can I do better? (except calligraphy, but I'm working on it). I will be grateful for any constructive criticism

First, it's great that you decided to make a map of places you've visited (ie. a real map, not a fantasy one) and I think that over time, you will value these a lot.

Secondly, the map is great, I love it's clean and crisp look.

Thirdly, thanks a lot for sharing your process with us. I also do handmade maps and it's really nice to see how other artists do it.

If I were to give you one suggestion, it would be: Don't be afraid to use a ruler. Even though it's hand made, having some straight lines for guidance will benefit the map and won't detract from the handmade look. For example, the labels would look a bit nicer and cleaner if the letters were on a straight line and the same height. You can trace a couple of pencil guides at the top and bottom of each label and try to fit all the letters between those (does it make sense?). I'd also use a ruler for the borders as well. If you trace the line with a thick pen, it will still look great (not too artificial), but a tiny bit neater.

Also, the lettering of the title would benefit from a little study of a similar font. For the most part, it's pretty easy: upstrokes are thin and downstrokes are thick, but you can take a look at some of the fonts in that style and try to mimic that, and you'll improve your calligraphy in no time. (Sorry, I'm a calligraphy nerd...)

That being said, fantastic job!
    — Don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle —

My Instagram: Mr.Nopkin ॥ Mostly maps and calligraphy

These are a treat. thanks for sharing them and your process. Happy trails
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks a lot for sharing your process, Qmoh ! As I already told, I'm absolutely fond of the charm of your maps. It's amazing to see how it works with just small touches of color

Edit : Oh, just one thing : no label for the start/final point in the bottom left corner ?

Guild Apprentice

Thank you very much for your comments

@MistyBeee - you're right - I added arrows, I think that's enough.

Attachment 109902

Great concept, and superb work so far! Glad you let us follow the journey .

Guild Apprentice

Map Last map from the series

Here's the latest map from my series. I think I made some progress (except calligraphy).

What do you think? What could I improve? What needs to be changed there?

### Latest WIP ###

Attachment 110034

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I love it! It's very clean and crisp, especially for a hand-drawn map. Very well done!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert

I absolutely love this, and thanks for sharing you’re process there aren’t a lot of tutorials out there for hand drawn mapping.

This is a beautiful map and the calligraphy is absolutely fine: It might be simply but it's so evenly and clean. There is nothing I would change on this map.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast