Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Series of travel maps (hand drawn)

Really lovely style and so educational as well. Thanks so much for posting this Qmoh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I so love ink and watercolor. These are gorgeous! The only thing I'd think about adding is a touch of subtle shading here and there to give the land some depth. But it is honestly just fine without it as well.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

It's funny when I compare my first hand drawn maps with that I'm making now... Many weeks, dozens of sketchs and a lot of unprintable words later I'm started to think I've found my own style. Take a look.

Attachment 115404

First of all, I started using coloured pencils, dry and soft pastels plus some extra tools like colour sharpers. I decided to add more details and colours.
    I also devote more time to draw each map.

What do you think? Is there (probably) progress or (maybe) not?

Tools: pencil, coloured pencils (Faber Castell Polychromos), promarkers, micropens, parallel pen, dry pastels (Drewent), soft pastels (Koh-I-Noor Gioconda), colour sharpers.

To be continued...

Oh ! Looks really nice !

Guild Apprentice

The work is in progress:

I think the combination of different techniques and tools has given good results, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

Any suggestions?

No suggestion, because you have such a good style and such a good technique, and I think you're the only one to judge where you want and have to go : what you do is unique
    The more I see your work, the more I love it : so much attention, love and care there, and it's clearly perceptible.

However, I'm curious regarding the colour sharpers you mentioned : could you tell us a little more about this, and how you use them ? If you have some time, of course

Guild Apprentice

Thank you, MistyBee

Colour Sharpers is a very simple and very useful tool for colouring. I use it to shade and tonalize colors, when I use soft and dry pastels.See this video showing how they work.

Oooh, thanks, I see better. Smart and effective technique, and I see where and how you used it on your map to create this lovely texture.
    Thanks also for the video link : it sounds you found the colour shapers' Bob Ross ^^

That's a real labor of love!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    it sounds you found the colour shapers' Bob Ross ^^
    I was thinking the exact same thing!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast