Thread: Game Developer getting his feet wet in Cartography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hmmm the end of the last series of BSG comes to mind...not that I saw any maps there. A scientist friend of mine was saying that one of the interesting things about the way we build and store information today (as opposed to say the Egyptians or Babylonians) is that we don't really build things to last 1,000s of years - if that's right I would guess that after 1,000 years from a nucleur holocaust you'd have very little evidence of modern civilisation left apart from the odd bit here and there. paper books will have rotted away, information on silicon chips would have degraded into nothing. Bring back the stone tablet!!

Welcome to the guild, btw!

Blog Entries

That sounds interesting lazarus. I am wondering what your thoughts are on what your likely to see in these forests with the present day modern junk decaying there. I agree with Ravs that you cant get a 3.5" floppy drive much any more and standards are moving too quickly to keep pace. Lots of the old TV is being lost as its on celluloid and not spread among the VHS/DVD's etc. What would have been lost if not for youtube is quite worrying in itself. So yeah, not so much of modern stuff would survive but mainly what would survive might not be historically known about in that future date. Sorta depends if the nukes go off before or after we populate another planet I guess. Screw offsite backups - get some offworld backups