Thread: Game Developer getting his feet wet in Cartography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello.
    I've always been fascinated by the idea of having whole cities retaken by wilderness.

There was a TV show a couple months back that dealt with the idea of what would happen if man ceased to exist. Our modern buildings would last maybe 100 years or so.
    I like the idea of pockets of technology and modern architecture existing in jungles and mounds of vegetation. The mutations and the way creatures would adapt to the new world would be fun to extrapolate on.

Good luck with your project.

-D

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    Hello.
    I've always been fascinated by the idea of having whole cities retaken by wilderness.

There was a TV show a couple months back that dealt with the idea of what would happen if man ceased to exist. Our modern buildings would last maybe 100 years or so.
    I like the idea of pockets of technology and modern architecture existing in jungles and mounds of vegetation. The mutations and the way creatures would adapt to the new world would be fun to extrapolate on.

Good luck with your project.

-D
    Yes, it was called life after people (there have actually been two such documentaries). According to the best estimates modern houses would last 50-100 years, skyscrapers around 300-500 years. After 1000 years the only stuff left were the rusted husks of city foundations as well as the more sturdy human constructions (the sphinx, pyramids, mt rushmore, etc). I think the world would largely be reverted to a pristine environment. Other than the more sturdy remnants of humanity, little would remain to show what civilization had once been like.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah I remember the feral cats and dogs roaming the streets and how simply painting things helps them last longer and with no one to fix/paint things everything decays surprisingly fast. Ends up lookin sort of like the lumpy forests that have reclaimed many of the Mayan temples...cool idea to explore.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Reminds me of the Aftermath RPG

It kind of reminds me of the Aftermath RPG - certainly out of print, I bought in 1985, I think? Too complex and never found any to play with...

Anyway, debris and foundations is all you'd find of the previous civilization, depending on what survived if anything you'd find yourself in anything from neolithic restart to something like the dark ages, only darker. Perhaps technology hidden in some subterrainean hardened bunker complex, perhaps not even that, as rust and erosion would still occur, even out of the weather.

Even after a thousand years, depending on how big of a nuclear war it had been there would be residual radiation, certain hot spots that still burned the living and would be no man zones. Perhaps inhabited by radiation zombies!

It would be a world of difference after 1000 year.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Even after a thousand years, depending on how big of a nuclear war it had been there would be residual radiation, certain hot spots that still burned the living and would be no man zones. Perhaps inhabited by radiation zombies!
    Nah the radiation from nuclear weapons doesn't last that long. It gets washed away or blown away fairly quick (a good thing too or hiroshima and nagasaki would still be wastelands).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Radiation zombies sound uber cool though
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Nah the radiation from nuclear weapons doesn't last that long. It gets washed away or blown away fairly quick (a good thing too or hiroshima and nagasaki would still be wastelands).
    Well, that depends on the power of the weapon as well as the radioactive material being used. The WWII bombs are hundreds of times less powerful than those in use today and used materials with a shorter half-life that what is used in modern missiles.
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 02-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, I won't weigh in on how long the radiation would hang around, but I will say Welcome Aboard. I have, since finding this place, regained a good portion of inspiration when it comes to mapping thanks to the tutorials and maps of others, many of which simply amaze me.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Well, that depends on the power of the weapon. The WWII bombs are hundreds of times less powerful than those in use today.
    No the power actually doesn't have much effect. The stuff that makes an area radioactive is the fallout. Fallout is something that washes away. Over time the wind and rain moves it into local bodies of water which carry it downstream where it dissipates and becomes fairly harmless in the ocean or another large body of water. The exception to this is the blast zone itself where the ground is literally irradiated. In a ww2 weapon this goes away fairly fast. In a modern weapon it could last a fair bit longer. Granted if you detonated enough nuclear weapons you could indeed see massive irradiated areas for thousands of years. At that point though, there won't be humans (or much else above single celled organisms).

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    It kind of reminds me of the Aftermath RPG........
    OMG...haven't thought about that game for AGES. Only played it for a few months though. Liked the technical detail to it though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent