Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River city of Karkwald [commission]

Great work. And railroad and caterpillar mountain brushes, you say...

Looking at those, actually, really drives home how huge the original version of that city map must be!

Besides the outstanding art, what really makes your cities appart from all the others is their likelyness. You have some pretty shiny city planning skills And good to hear you blow a bit of steam, it's much needed

Now live on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania (40deg lat)
    Blog Entries

Unbekievably Fantastic - an inspiration for me, as I get into doing huge cities. What is the population, and how do you calculate it - I ask because although I have developed a rule of thumb, I am always seeking refinements, or even a total rethink
    "To imagine is to be human; to be human is to imagine. We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

Fantastic map and great details. I really wish the client had paid for colour. I'd love to see a coloured version.

Also, glad to hear you're out hiking. I feel there's something about getting away from urban areas and out into the countryside that's just good for the soul. I love it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I hang my head in shame.. I just noticed these comments that I missed.
    Sorry people. I've been far too busy this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I saw this on FB and loved it there, but seeing it at a larger scale its even more handsome than I thought it was before

I very much admire your skill in drawing all these tiny little houses - each one as perfect and as carefully created as its neighbours!
    Thank you Mouse
    I like civil planning.. sort of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well, as your usual with your cities, it's fantastic (I would love to see a colored version... but I know what you mean about not having enough time!!).
    Thanks Ilanthar. It might see a colored version one day.. maybe. Even with some boats too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Yep, this is another superb city map. You never disappoint!

Wingshaw
    Thanks George
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Great work. And railroad and caterpillar mountain brushes, you say...

Looking at those, actually, really drives home how huge the original version of that city map must be!
    hehe, yeah, this was a big one. The larger size brings unseen challenges.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Besides the outstanding art, what really makes your cities appart from all the others is their likelyness. You have some pretty shiny city planning skills And good to hear you blow a bit of steam, it's much needed
    Thanks Thomas. I need to go hiking again soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwalker View Post
    Unbekievably Fantastic - an inspiration for me, as I get into doing huge cities. What is the population, and how do you calculate it - I ask because although I have developed a rule of thumb, I am always seeking refinements, or even a total rethink
    I didn't determine population for this city, as it was cleint dictated.
    I am not sure what it would be, but i would assume quite high.
    Most buildings are multifloor, so possibly more extended family per building and in smaller rooms, so more rooms per building.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Fantastic map and great details. I really wish the client had paid for colour. I'd love to see a coloured version.

Also, glad to hear you're out hiking. I feel there's something about getting away from urban areas and out into the countryside that's just good for the soul. I love it.
    Thanks CP Yes, I totally agree. I am due for another natural recharge soon.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Amazing, I love the detail!

Personally I would've made the city walls darker so they stand out, they're a little difficult to differentiate from the houses. I suppose it depends how important they are. I'm guessing they're like London's medieval walls: a historical oddity but really of no practical importance so they don't stand out on maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Amazing, I love the detail!

Personally I would've made the city walls darker so they stand out, they're a little difficult to differentiate from the houses. I suppose it depends how important they are. I'm guessing they're like London's medieval walls: a historical oddity but really of no practical importance so they don't stand out on maps?
    Thanks Rob
    That's pretty much what I was getting from the client.
    The walls were important once, but now just denote the older part of the city.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12