Thread: How to add a square grid as a layer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    OH YESH I forgot to mention that for LARGE canvas you can still copy/paste groups of lines easily this way. OR you can also extend the lenght.. this is Just an opinion however. Something I found much more useful than a pixel grid.
    Another way to recycle an existing grid made out of paths for a larger map than originally anticipated is to double it in size, copy the layer, and shift the second one half a square up and half a square to the right. Et voilà, a new grid 4x as large as the original, with the same mesh size!

Also, there are Photoshop brushes out there that have a pre-made grid. This one's pretty nice. Brushes are by definition raster data though, so you can't easily scale them up/down without messing up the width of the lines. So use with caution!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Another way to recycle an existing grid made out of paths for a larger map than originally anticipated is to double it in size, copy the layer, and shift the second one half a square up and half a square to the right. Et voilà, a new grid 4x as large as the original, with the same mesh size!

Also, there are Photoshop brushes out there that have a pre-made grid. This one's pretty nice. Brushes are by definition raster data though, so you can't easily scale them up/down without messing up the width of the lines. So use with caution!
    Yep! It is something I made as well and I forgot to mention.

I think to do something FOR WELL once is the only solution to be versatile "later".

Thank you for sharing this trick. I almost forgot about it

Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Here is a very easy way I've made grid lines for a map as a new layer.

First. Open up a spreadsheet app like Excel or Calc. Set the column width and row height to match each other; ie 1inch x 1inch.

Take a screenshot.

Paste that as a new layer. Use the magic wand to get rid of the white space and then get rid of the rest of your screenshot leaving behind a grid.

Hope that helps!