Thread: City of Ignotus - Sci-Fi/Fantasy Map Commission

Default City of Ignotus - Sci-Fi/Fantasy Map Commission

Project Scope
    For a while now, I've been trying to sort out a roleplay project of mine, attempting to cover everything needed to have a clear visual of what kind of world everyone will be participating in. I'm looking to get everything perfect before starting anything up, but my biggest issue so far is the city our story will be taking place in. The capital city of Ignotus. It's a coastal city that has a constant stream of ships coming in and out, delivering weapons to other countries. I picture it as an industrial cyberpunk city, with an element of fantasy added to it.

Setting
    Not exactly on your traditional planet Earth, this is a world of science and magic, with a wide range of demi-human species who favor magic, live alongside humans, who tend to lean more towards the scientific approach. With the advancements in technology, old magical traditions are being paved to make way for a new way of living. Location is in the northeast of Abaeterno, where their capital, the dystopian City of Ignotus under harsh military rule, lies.

Map Description
    New York City, Tokyo, Los Angeles, pretty much looks like a major city but in a cyberpunk fantasy setting. I'll post a regional map and point out where the city will lie so that you can get an idea of the land you'll be working with. There will be a river, called the Perdita River, from the top right of the city, near the harbors, traveling down through the right section of the city, leading up to the Depalo Lake, which lies to the south of the city. Major landmarks include the Castle of Abyssus, the Underworld Mine, Silva Park, Bellum Tower, Victoriam Tower, and Umbra Tower.

- Castle of Abyssus
    The center of operations in Ignotus, it is where the presidential figure and his council reside. It lies in the center of the city atop the Underworld Mine. A fortress of black steel, and one large looming tower taller than any other skyscraper in the city. (Not sure what a sci-fi castle looks like...)

- Underworld Mine
    I have trouble trying to visualize this in my head, but I picture large subway-like tunnels with large steel doors leading downward beneath the Castle of Abyssus. The entrance somewhere towards the front of the castle.

- Silva Park
    A national park that still preserves what was once ancient magical traditions, and where the Perdita River leading through the city cuts straight through, ending at Depalo Lake to the south of the park. A stone bridge crosses the river in the center of said park.

- Bellum Tower
    The west and a tad bit southern tower of Ignotus. One of the three towers in the city housing one of the three powerful figures supported by those who rule in the Castle of Abyssus.

- Victoriam Tower
    The northern tower of Ignotus, lying slightly south of the harbors and to the left side of the Perdita River. One of the three towers in the city housing one of the three powerful figures supported by those who rule in the Castle of Abyssus.

- Umbra Tower
    The eastern tower of Ignotus, lying to the right of the Perdita River. One of the three towers in the city housing one of the three powerful figures supported by those who rule in the Castle of Abyssus.

Technical
    I'll probably look to add some edits to the image in the future. I'd prefer to have it in PNG form, and I'd like to avoid really bright, sunny warm colors. Like a night time view of the city. I don't really need a colorful map honestly. Just something that allows me to picture the layout of the city. Like a top down flat view? I'll provide an example below to what style I'd be absolutely fine with.

Copyright
    I'd like to look into purchasing full copyright from the artist that takes up this job. The artist can feel free to add the work to his portfolio, however.

Deadline
    Flexible, no need to rush. (Not sure how long it takes to do this kind of work, but preferably before the end of this year?)

Payment
    I'd prefer under $200, but I'd like to discuss this more with whoever decides to take this project up.

Contact
    My email is DTFGrimJudge(at)gmail(dot)com, but you'll have the best luck contacting me on Discord. My tag on Discord is GrimJudge#3078. If it isn't any hassle, I'd like tons of updates as you work. I love watching an artist's work in progress slowly become a finished masterpiece, and it leaves me with such a huge feeling of awe.

Note: I have a picture of the world map below. When you contact me, we can discuss exactly where the city is positioned on the map. Sorry if this commission is incredibly confusing, but I look forward to speaking with you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_Map_Torn.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	110416

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0c25e800500f6e58e807fe2bca42c63a_original.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	110419
    Last edited by GrimJudge; 09-26-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hey GrimJudge,

Thanks for posting that request! A quick heads up: $100 is pretty low for a city map, especially if that price includes the copyrights. People tend to spend dozens, sometimes hundreds of hours laboriously creating a map, and $100 just isn't a fair compensation for all that work. However, I'm talking about somewhat larger maps (A5 and up, or roughly 4 megapixels and larger). It might just be you're looking for a way smaller map, a bit like the example you posted, in which case the price might just be right.

Can you give some more information about how big/small you would like the map to be? Either in metric units, imperial units or pixels?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I appreciate the advice, and I could definitely up it to $200 if need be, but any more than that and I'd be toying with the limit of my budget a little. Ill be sure to update my post with this in mind now. Regarding further details though, I'm pretty ignorant in how map design works (Make that almost totally ignorant), so I wouldn't be much help as I don't exactly know what I want totally either.

Hi GrimJudge. Not to be a downer, but even $200 is unlikely for a city map, plus you want full rights. I have seen such jobs go for four and five times that amount. Cartography is a lot of work, especially something as detailed and intricate as a city map. Someone may step up and offer to do it, but I think the lack of that so far speaks volumes. Again, not trying to be negative, just relaistic. People just don't realize the work and costs of map work. But good luck on your project.

Mmmm... I would always recommend you post a sketch of how you imagine your city is so people can figure out a bit more what you mean. Again, like my fellow cartographers said, maybe pointing out the scale and the size of the map will help to judge about the price. I would like to take your request but I am no expert in city maps so sadly I will pass on this one.
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I know how much effort goes into a city map, having come from a city project a little while ago.
    Though, I don't think full rights for it justifies $200. And what is more, the bigger the city the complixity of it goes up exponentially.

That said, I'm more into fantasy mapping, but I am considering taking this up.
    Though, I'd either do a day map OR a night map. $200 does not justify doing both at all.

I agree with my fellow guild members. A VERY rough sketch of where you want the main buildings to be will help a lot in making an educated decision.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19