Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Taevra - Critique

From my meagre understanding of climate, I think the mountains would shield the area to the east from winds bringing moderating temperatures from the sea to the west (you can tell the winds are coming from the west because they're dumping all their rain on the western side of the mountains and making all those rivers). So beyond the mountains you'd have warmer summers and colder winters than on the seaward side of the mountains - i.e. a continental climate rather than a temperate oceanic climate. So yes, if you want it to be colder in general a big plateau is probably the way to go.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This looks pretty darn cool so far

For the land color try a less-saturated light brown; it'll give you room to vary the shade like you have in the water, won't clash horribly with the red undershading & lettering, and should contrast nicely with the sea.

I'm not sold on the transitional waves being white; it does look better zoomed in than it does zoomed out, but it still looks weird with the rest of the waves being as they are. Maybe try the same color as the other waves, just deeper?

Guild Member

Wow, impressive. I can't hand draw and only a beginner myself so I can only sit and go wow.

I love how this is shaping out. And as a huge sucker for dark tones and darker maps, I really like the direction this color scheme is taking! Have you considered laying some paper/parchment textures on top of the whole map? I always use a ton on mine, and that is a crucial part of my process of figuring out the colors I want to use.

An impressive looking piece anyway, I look forward to seeing what will come of this!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

The original colours were much nicer, I like the blue colour on the water but the land to me is totally clashing and too close in value to the sea. I would also tone down the lines on the sea, maybe just lower the opacity or something, they are nice though just a little busy for me personally.

I do really like that you’re using a red colour for you’re line work, it feels cozy and warm idk I just think it works. Overall it’s still one of my favourite wip’s happening on the forum right now. I love, love, love you’re coast line and mountains I just think It would benefit from more contrast between the land and sea.

I like your color choices and the maps is looking really good. I am okay with the transitional waves, but I agree with Gidde that lightening up the land may help things. I think a darker shade for the line-work on the monsters would be better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12