Thread: The Free Provinces of Nessus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert

Very nice first map! And welcome to the Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Welcome, Drackore, and have some rep for posting a map in your first post! Fine work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Very nice first map! And welcome to the Guild.
    Thanks so much for the welcome messages you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Superb first map post, you already have a pretty good touch on texture! I like the somewhat muted colors too. I'm fairly certain almost all of us had started out with the Starraven brushes, they are a great resource and you've put them to good use here. I like how they are faded into the backround, it gives the feeling of the map being old. The only thing I'm not wild about is the font choiches. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely approve the use of a semi simple and easy to read typeface, instead of an extremely ornamented fantasy font! But right now, thw typeface still looks a little too neat and crisp compared to the faded and textured look of the map. Check out the latter half of the IM Fell Types, for instance, to get an idea of what I'm going for: still neat and easy to read serif fonts, but they still have a bit more wear and tear to them to make them look a bit more like they've been drawn on a by hand.

Feel free to ignore me on that, it's just a suggestion! It's a minor nitpick anyway, this is truly an impressive first map.

The origin story of how the map came to be sounds so similar to my own - look out, the love for map-making may steal your soul away completely if you're not careful! A kick-ass first post through and through, I look forward to seeing more. A most warm welcome to the Guild!
    Many thanks for the great feedback, Kellerica! Glad you like it. I totally see what you mean about the fonts, those IM Fell Types look fantastic, I'll give them a go at some point haha it has definitely stolen me away for the past few months - I need to get back to the writing! Although I might try drawing one of my main characters next. Thanks again for the feedback!