Thread: The Free Provinces of Nessus

Map The Free Provinces of Nessus

Hey, Cartographer's Guild!

So this is my first map, and originally started as a minor side project to help me maintain consistency with directions/travel times in my novel, but as time moved on it gradually became more and more of a passion project.

Because I started from scratch with zero experience, I've taken a huge amount of inspiration from other maps I've found online, both here and on Google; from the art style, to shaping coastlines, to how to draw mountains, etc. The brush I used for making trees is from https://www.deviantart.com/starraven...shes-198264358 , and the compass rose is from http://clipartmag.com/picture-of-com...ss-rose-44.jpg . I used a free online parchment texture too, but unfortunately can't find the source for it anymore

All artwork was created using paint.net.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessus Map.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	111225

Toponyms are mostly derived from the location's original meaning in the Nessan language; for example, Tal Sekhra would translate roughly to 'Valley of Foundation', with Tal meaning valley and Sekhra being the present participle form of the verb Sekhari, to create/construct. Nessan is mostly inspired by a mix of Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish and Sanskrit - with some words also just being pulled out of my own head because they 'sound right' (I'm also very new to linguistics/toponomy so this is all a learning experience!! )

The main exception to this would be the Arx locations, whose names are kind of corrupted from a mix of Latin and Turkish, and correspond to a more ancient and forgotten language (consistent with the lore of those locations in the book).

I'd love to get everyone's feedback - I'm open to criticism on anything from artwork, to geography, to toponomy and would love to find out where I can improve. Many thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome, Drackore, and have some rep for posting a map in your first post! Fine work on it.

Superb first map post, you already have a pretty good touch on texture! I like the somewhat muted colors too. I'm fairly certain almost all of us had started out with the Starraven brushes, they are a great resource and you've put them to good use here. I like how they are faded into the backround, it gives the feeling of the map being old. The only thing I'm not wild about is the font choiches. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely approve the use of a semi simple and easy to read typeface, instead of an extremely ornamented fantasy font! But right now, thw typeface still looks a little too neat and crisp compared to the faded and textured look of the map. Check out the latter half of the IM Fell Types, for instance, to get an idea of what I'm going for: still neat and easy to read serif fonts, but they still have a bit more wear and tear to them to make them look a bit more like they've been drawn on a by hand.

Feel free to ignore me on that, it's just a suggestion! It's a minor nitpick anyway, this is truly an impressive first map.

The origin story of how the map came to be sounds so similar to my own - look out, the love for map-making may steal your soul away completely if you're not careful! A kick-ass first post through and through, I look forward to seeing more. A most warm welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

Very nice first map! And welcome to the Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Welcome, Drackore, and have some rep for posting a map in your first post! Fine work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Very nice first map! And welcome to the Guild.
    Thanks so much for the welcome messages you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Superb first map post, you already have a pretty good touch on texture! I like the somewhat muted colors too. I'm fairly certain almost all of us had started out with the Starraven brushes, they are a great resource and you've put them to good use here. I like how they are faded into the backround, it gives the feeling of the map being old. The only thing I'm not wild about is the font choiches. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely approve the use of a semi simple and easy to read typeface, instead of an extremely ornamented fantasy font! But right now, thw typeface still looks a little too neat and crisp compared to the faded and textured look of the map. Check out the latter half of the IM Fell Types, for instance, to get an idea of what I'm going for: still neat and easy to read serif fonts, but they still have a bit more wear and tear to them to make them look a bit more like they've been drawn on a by hand.

Feel free to ignore me on that, it's just a suggestion! It's a minor nitpick anyway, this is truly an impressive first map.

The origin story of how the map came to be sounds so similar to my own - look out, the love for map-making may steal your soul away completely if you're not careful! A kick-ass first post through and through, I look forward to seeing more. A most warm welcome to the Guild!
    Many thanks for the great feedback, Kellerica! Glad you like it. I totally see what you mean about the fonts, those IM Fell Types look fantastic, I'll give them a go at some point haha it has definitely stolen me away for the past few months - I need to get back to the writing! Although I might try drawing one of my main characters next. Thanks again for the feedback!

A great map for a first post. Very nice choices for the colors.
    Welcome!

You're definitely on the good way with this map, Drackore ! As Ilanthar, I really love your colors
    And since it's your first posts : welcome to the Guild !

Very nice layout and great use of those brushes !

A very good start! If i had to criticize one thing, it is that i think the mountains are a bit too hard to see...make the lines a bit darker or something. Otherwise a pretty fine map.
    I'd love to hear more about the world itself, it's people and history if you care to share.

And welcome to the Guild. This is one of the nicest places i know (overall) and THE best place for map-iness. Grab a seat and join in!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

This is a lovely map. I especially like your colour choices with one small exception.... I'm not super fond of the green border. I feel it's quite saturated and harsh against the softer colours you've chosen elsewhere. It feels very 'digital', whereas everything else has the 'hand-drawn' feel. Minor nitpick though, it really is a very attractive piece.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"