Thread: British Isles Map Trio #3: Outlander’s Scotland

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Map British Isles Map Trio #3: Outlander’s Scotland

The final map in my British Isles trio of fantasy-inspired maps. After making a map of England for my Camelot challenge entry, and then a map of Ireland for my mom’s 70th birthday, I decided to make it a British Isles trio and map Scotland. Making an Outlander-themed map seemed to be the most obvious, especially since I’m currently seeing commercials for the upcoming season. I haven’t watched the show but I’ve read the books. The corner art and compass are replicas of cover art from the novels. I also drew icons for some important story locations (and then McCaig’s Tower, which I don’t think is ever mentioned in the story, but it filled up space nicely).

WIP thread is here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=42560. Many thanks to ChickPea for a valuable editor and for everyone who weighed in with comments. You guys helped make this map so much better!

This was hand-drawn on a Wacom Intuos tablet in Photoshop. The font is Enchanted Land except for the upper left corner, which is Charlemagne (the show font).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outlander map v9 (sm).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	111235

Here's the trio:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UK Trio FINAL (sm).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	111260

Lovely work on all three of these maps. I like how they're all slightly different colours, yet very much part of the same series.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

It's really cool to see all the locations from the series!
    Just from watching the distances don't really sink in, but your map really helps grounding the locations in my head, if that makes sense. I'm just imagining where Claire has gone from episode to episode
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

As I’m currently binge-watching all of Outlander—I’m obsessed with this map!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochnan View Post
    It's really cool to see all the locations from the series!
    Just from watching the distances don't really sink in, but your map really helps grounding the locations in my head, if that makes sense. I'm just imagining where Claire has gone from episode to episode
    I'm so glad it's helpful! ChickPea helped with the locations of real places. I had to estimate some of the fictional locations but I did the best I could.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    As I’m currently binge-watching all of Outlander—I’m obsessed with this map!
    Awesome, I'm so glad you like it! I've read the book series two times but haven't seen the show yet. I think I'll need to binge it!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Lovely work on all three of these maps. I like how they're all slightly different colours, yet very much part of the same series.
    Thank you, ChickPea! I'm very happy with how these turned out.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice, but it's iffy to give a map of "clans". Clans at what point in history? It changed a lot over time, and even then the idea that a single clan controlled a region is highly dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Nice, but it's iffy to give a map of "clans". Clans at what point in history? It changed a lot over time, and even then the idea that a single clan controlled a region is highly dubious.
    Well, the map is based on the Outlander series, which is fictional but written by a research professor who did a lot of legwork to learn about Scotland's history in the mid-1700s. But still, it's fiction. I based this map on the author's work as supplemented by Historic UK, Ltd.'s History and Heritage Accommodation Guide, which maps the major Scottish clans. My map is not intended to be 100% accurate because, again, it's based on a fictional story.