Thread: work on an iso tile set

Default work on an iso tile set

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d50.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	476.1 KB 
ID:	111395
    quick/early test. Needs wall variants/doors/stairs etc. Mainly just a test to see if this can work.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wow, that is *really* cool! I love the lighting.

Hey I am glad you like it. The lighting is really easy to adjust and try different things.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d51.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	111400
    Everything actually quite simple and easy to make. Lowpoly walls and low resolution textures. I mean it really is basic. I agree that the lighting is what makes something nice: The highlights and shadows. (I got in a hurry on the doors and they probably could be a lot better.)

I have been working on a very different project for quite some time, and finally I have some time to try this kind of stuff, which I what I have been wanting to learn for awhile. I hope I can get really good at it.

I'd love to have a set like legos or something that just snap together quickly

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Are you using blender or something similar? This doesn't look at ALL simple to me

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Are you using blender or something similar? This doesn't look at ALL simple to me
    Yes it is Blender. It I had to draw that by hand it would take me forever. And then I would be stuck with one lighting set/direction.

By the way this is with the older internal render engine, the one that Blender is dropping in the next major Blender release. I am quite upset about it, but there is nothing I can do except learn how to continue to develop it myself. There seems to be some obsession with photo-realism in the Blender development, but often I see people making scenes of bedrooms and furniture and other boring things like that and then drooling over how photo-realistic it is.

Excellent render. I really need to look into Blender (mostly for 3-D printing purposes). I love the old school roleplaying videogame vibe you achieved with the low resolution. The lighting is very evocative.

Question for the expert: If you would like to 3-D print the layout, would it be a simple matter of light adjustments or would you need to entirely rebuild it?

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerAndBrush View Post
    Excellent render. I really need to look into Blender (mostly for 3-D printing purposes). I love the old school roleplaying videogame vibe you achieved with the low resolution. The lighting is very evocative.

Question for the expert: If you would like to 3-D print the layout, would it be a simple matter of light adjustments or would you need to entirely rebuild it?
    I am not an expert, but I don't think the lighting would have anything to do with 3d printing.

Sorry, I think I expressed myself badly. Should read simple adjustments, the light is indeed inconsequential.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

OK, I just misread your statement. In this case I think only the doors would be a problem. Perhaps they would need to be removed. The model is extremely simple and all the real details are in the textures and bump maps. I think it would be rather easy to print this in 3d, but it would look very plain, and it would need to be hand-painted or something like that, but I really don't know anything about 3d printing. From what I've heard, the model needs to be 'watertight' or something like that where there are no holes of vertex points that don't line up correctly.