Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Ayrilia

Guild Member

Wip WIP - Ayrilia

This is a world for my fantasy setting that I'd started writing a story for. Well, I'd started writing a story over a decade ago and decided to revisit it and give it an actual world. So, just before I'd joined this site, a friend helped me with this world. He'd used the web-based Worldbuilder on experilous.com to generate it. A few days later, my browser started telling me the site was unsafe and might be trying to steal my information. In reality, the owner of the site has shut the majority of his projects down and I think his site securities expire. After following a bunch of links to get access to the site, I downloaded the demo. I still don't understand all of the settings but I can generate a world whenever needed. The unfortunate thing is, the seed generator is totally random so if you have a seed you want it to generate... ya outta luck.

Anyway, details we have so far (thanks to my friend and not me lol):

Planet: Ayrilia
    Size: 1.3x Earth, circumference 52 097km
    Shape: Flattened sphere.
    Orbit: 386 days - elliptical orbit
    Day length: 30.6 hours (30 hours and 36 minutes - details for me because I couldn't convert the .6)
    Composition: 16% land mass, 6 continents. As you can see, it didn't end up that way because the web-based generator doesn't work with the inputs too well; the downloadable demo works better.
    Atmosphere: Oh... haven't gotten to that yet.
    Axial tilt: 0%, equator aimed at the sun all year round - seasons controlled by elliptical orbit.
    Distance: 1 pixel = 13km on a 4000 pixel picture.

Temps:
    - Summer
    --Day: 30C average
    --Night: 12C temperate
    -Winter
    --Day: 4C temperate region
    --Night: -12C
    During winter: 87% of ocean frozen (sea water freezes at -2C)

Number of moons: 2 that circle the planet; 1 moon has its own moon
    Moon 1 lunar cycle: 18 months, 21.4 days per month, 15% of planet mass/size. !!*1st moon - binary moon*!! (he is ecstatic about this detail and is interested in what its effects would be)
    Moon 2 lunar cycle: 14.5 days, 3% of planet mass/size.
    Moon 3: 17% planet mass/size, is binary to 1st moon.

That's all we have so far. He may not realise it but some details might change due to other factors we haven't come up with yet.

Any feedback/critique is welcome but please note that *I* know nothing about any of this stuff LOL. And now for the images...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ayriliaworldmap02a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	110848

Name:	Ayriliaworldmap02ab.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	110849

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks like a good start!

Guild Member

Thanks, Gidde. I'm just going to take things slowly so I learn instead of rushing.

For the orbit you should calculate the it's excentricity to get the temperatures, Artifexian did a very nice calc sheet that does all the work for you. 15% of planet's mass makes it really huge while 15% of planetal diameter may be a bit small (our moon's mass is 1.2% of Earth's and its diameter is 27% of Earth's). What do you mean by 18 months of 21.4 days each for the lunar cycle ? Please give the distances between the moons and make sure they are both outside of the Roche limit (same thing for the binary moons, outside of the others R;oche limit), they will probably have a ratio of 1/2 or 2/3 for there period. For the atmosphere you should also have a look at Artifexian sheet. If you want your world to be scientifically realistic, worldbuilding stack exchange and artifexian's youtube are both good

Guild Member

Jean-Abdel, thank you for the questions and observations. I'll show them to my friend and hopefully, he'll be able to make sense of them all since it's all gone over my head, lol. I did a google search for Artifexian but have no idea what to look for out of all the options coming up. As for the 18 months thing, maybe that's the planet's year but where my friend had written it, I'd lumped it in with the lunar info. I'll ask him about that as well.

Guild Member

Jean-Abdel, I do have a question though. What do you mean by:

they will probably have a ratio of 1/2 or 2/3 for there period

The period of the inner moon will probably be 2/3 of the outer moon's. Here is Artifexians channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Artifexian there's a lot of stuff for worldbuilding here, the first videos are mostly talking about physical features of your star system and here is the spreadsheet I was talking about https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...324/edit#gid=0.

Guild Member

Thank you for the explanation. I viewed a few of his videos yesterday and, while my eyes didn’t glaze over, I was hard pressed to comprehend. I’m hoping my friend will be able to help me but I don’t know how he’ll handle that Irish accent lol.

Guild Member

Not much done but I have a few country names due to story writing. So, I thought I'd add them to the map even though their format will more than likely change later on. Here's my latest wip, little as it is lol.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ayriliaworldmap02ac.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	111206

Guild Member

Just a quick stop in to share a not serious map. I needed to get the layout sorted for my story so this is what I drew.
    Tools: iPad, generic Wacom bamboo pen, Microsoft OneNote and its drawing feature.

Enjoy

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	8969E338-492F-4FF4-9BF3-A835FBE838AC.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	111326

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast