Thread: WIP - Regional Map of Aziz

Wip WIP - Regional Map of Aziz

First project ever so I'm a bit anxious, but here I go!

I'm currently DM'ing a campaign for which I'm still figuring out the background lore and geography as we go. The current working title for the world is "Aziz", but through some great coincidence one of my players decided to name his character "Aziz" as well. So I don't know if I'll be sticking with that name.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azil resized.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	7.10 MB 
ID:	111913

I started this project from the excellent Saderan tutorial (many thanks!). Thinking I wanted to print this in a high resolution on a large paper format, like A1 or something, I started a huge file, 11584 by 8192 px. This had some effects on the use of low-res textures.

Now, I know what you're gonna say, and I agree. The geography of this map is way out of whack . Part of the reason for this is that I only started reading up on realistic geography and rivers in particular, after I had already sketched a sizeable portion of the map and our group had started playing. This is why the rivers in the "Kendril" area, for example, make little sense.
    Another part of the reason is basically magic. The slice out of "pac-man island"? Magic catastrophe millennia ago. That snowy/icy biome right next to a wooded area? Gigantic plateau that magically rises kilometers above the surrounding area.

I'd actually like to ask for tips on that particular area. The whole landmass of the plateau floats above a giant hole in the ground, as explained in this expert rendition of the scenario:

Name:	Plateau explanation.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	111912
    I'm not sure how to make a neat border between the plateau and the surrounding land. For now, I've just drawn some weird ditch in the elevation layer, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with that.

I'm also still expanding the grass/forest layers, still figuring out what amount of greenery feels right.

So, obviously still a WIP, obviously still a beginner, but I really like mapping out the ideas I have in my head .

Go to a world viewer application (Google maps will work) and look at the tepuis in Venezuela. A tepui (or tabletop mountain) is a high plateau that's usually above forests and have steep edges. Take a look at an image search for "tepui" and you'll get a lot of ideas.

One way to show height is with something called ambient occlusion. Tall things block part of the sky (ambient) light around them, which results in what amounts to a dark glow near the base of the item. Another way is to add a drop shadow to show that the directional light is being blocked. Finally, consider a darker outline right at the edge to show the dark pit below the floating chunk. Mixing these techniques might give you a result like that below:

Name:	Azil-floater.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	111915
    The looks a little taller than the adjacent mountains, but you can probably fade out that effect a bit as you work with it.

Ooh, that looks way better. I'll definitely have a try. Thank you!