Thread: Aetheron in the Year 1249 of the North Reckoning: A Map Made for Roleplaying

Map Aetheron in the Year 1249 of the North Reckoning: A Map Made for Roleplaying

Dearest Fellow Cartographers, I hereby present to you a map I have made recently using WonderDraft, in fact updating a map I made a long time ago in Photoshop. The original reason for making this map was none other than the wish to make a world apart from the world I am designing for a novel I am writing; the map I made a long time ago, however, I recovered now to use as the setting of a roleplaying campaign I am starting with my friends. My inspirations for this map are the continent of Europe on the one hand and the universe of Andrej Sapkowski's Witcher novels on the other. Both my earlier and updated map are inserted below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aetheron_Map1_The Continent.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	112012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_2aetheron_final_map.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.35 MB 
ID:	112011
    On the updated map you will notice a division in countries on the basis of the colouring of the different names. Those names in red (at the top of the map) are the names of countries belonging to the freshly formed Northern Alliance. Those in white (in the middle) are the three countries of the Empire of the Holy Sun. The names in black are the free countries of Astigar (a land of many city-states) and Moreenia (a newly found republic of Elves and Dwarves, which is the only place where humans are a minority group). I hope you like it and will accept any critical judgement as very welcome, this being my first map made with WonderDraft.
    Last edited by Arawn; 12-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

I like it! Very smooth and pleasant map!

Thank you! As this is my very first digitally made map, I am somewhat nervous about what people might think of it

Wow, that's really great improvement! The colors on the udpated map are wonderful - it's a really pleasing palette and the texturing adds good depth. The mountains look like a real upgrade, too. I like those skethcy ones from the earlier map, but I feel like they need the map to be styled around them to work really well and need the right resolution to look good. Nice work!

Nice first maps! Certainly improvement between the first and the second. The mountains and forests look a little too repeating in the second one, and I'm not fond on the strong stroke used on the labels. I can be a good idea to add, but the effect is too strong. I like the colors used here!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you very much steelmccoy and Kellerica ! I was quite a bit younger when I made the first one and did not have any experience with photoshop when I set out making it
    I understand that the forests and mountains may be a bit repeating in my newer map, but in my opinion that does make it somewhat simpler; i did not want to overdo it. As I wanted to print out this map and use it in a roleplaying campaign, i made the names stand out deliberately so as to be clearly visible even at a larger distance
    Last edited by Arawn; 12-14-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Interesting update, I've not heard of Wonderdraft, I shall look into it

Quote Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
    Thank you very much steelmccoy and Kellerica As I wanted to print out this map and use it in a roleplaying campaign, i made the names stand out deliberately so as to be clearly visible even at a larger distance
    Understandable, but I still personally think the stroke is a little too wide. Even a very thin stroke can often make the the text pop out wonderfully. But it is of course up to you.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.