Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] Cooking up a world from scratch

Part of the explanation is that I accidentally used the default sea-level temperature instead of the changing it to the surface temperature. Changing it to surface-level does normalise the temperatures of the smaller continent, but makes the large continent even hotter or as hot as previously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan_temperatures.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	112534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jul_temperatures.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	112535

Should I do the temperatures manually, instead?

EDIT: Actually it looks like the large continent is slightly cooler. And the hotter temperatures are at least nearer the equator.
    Last edited by Heliagon; 01-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.

if I understand correctly, your planet mean temperature is 17,86 degrees?
    That is 4 degrees warmer than Earth during the 20th century.
    So actually, your temperatures make sense.

Well, that's good to hear.

Here are the climates produced by the adjusted temperatures:

Name:	Climates_new.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	112536

Nice , you have the pro version? Those images you produce don't seem like the ones created by the tool , or you used some settings I have not seen ? Mostly seem like a very low resolution cubemap.

You mean the ClimaSim images? There is actually an option to import you own maps as a background image, I think it's under the Display drop-down menu. You still need to draw the land and water by hand but the imported map is a useful guide for the placements of continents. The option is available on the demo version.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliagon View Post
    You mean the ClimaSim images? There is actually an option to import you own maps as a background image, I think it's under the Display drop-down menu. You still need to draw the land and water by hand but the imported map is a useful guide for the placements of continents. The option is available on the demo version.
    yes but the result is a map made of squares, doesn't look very accurate to me?
    Also I do nto see an option to take into consideration windsVs Mountain ranges, they have a major role in forming rainshadow and deserts ... like the Gobi one for example or the western side of the South Americas.

That's true, there's only so far you can go with the simulation, I don't know if precipitation is even taken into account. I mainly used the results as a rough starting point for the temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliagon View Post
    That's true, there's only so far you can go with the simulation, I don't know if precipitation is even taken into account. I mainly used the results as a rough starting point for the temperatures.
    I think those set of little videos explains a lot ...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ation-patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Heliagon
    Part of the explanation is that I accidentally used the default sea-level temperature instead of the changing it to the surface temperature. Changing it to surface-level does normalise the temperatures of the smaller continent, but makes the large continent even hotter or as hot as previously.
    EDIT: Actually it looks like the large continent is slightly cooler. And the hotter temperatures are at least nearer the equator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azélor
    if I understand correctly, your planet mean temperature is 17,86 degrees?
    That is 4 degrees warmer than Earth during the 20th century.
    So actually, your temperatures make sense.
    If I can add something, it actually makes sense to me that temperatures are higher in continents than in oceans, since the albedo of oceans is higher than albedo of continents. Besides the global warming is currently thawing the icelands, which have a very high albedo (it's white!). It means that global warming is snowballing and the temperatures will increase faster over time

I've been reading up a fair bit on tectonics, so I have a decent grasp of the basic processes (although the geological side of things still eludes me).
    If I remember well my geological courses, tectonics explain in part the reliefs (and especially cordilleras and ocean rifts). It is pretty easy to understand with a few schemes:

Here are two plates going in the opposite direction. One goes below the other one, thus creating mountains (e.g. Andes cordillera) and/or a chain of volcanoes:

Name:	subduction.gif 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	114169

And here is the same, but the continental slope is longer than the one on the previous picture, so it creates a volcanic archipelago:

Name:	subduction 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	114170

Here is a scheme of an oceanic ridge (with an explanation):

Name:	nxunH8dk0f_1399986350060.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	114171

And finally, here is the summary:

Name:	oceanic+ridge+Diverging+Zone.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	114172

Anyway if you look at the map of Earth, you can see that reliefs don't follow the abovementionned rules everytime. Sometimes it is really hard to understand.
    I always wonder if my reliefs look real enough (or not) when I draw it, because you need to put some mountains here and there even if you cannot explain every one of them.

Your world looks promising btw you're digging in the details to get something as realistic as possible and it's fck*** cool !
    You're using stuff that I didn't even imagine ^^ and you have super cool results !
    I'm really looking forward to seeing more !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123