Thread: The Kingdoms of Ataraxia And Ahka

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default The Kingdoms of Ataraxia And Ahka

Here's the latest map for the Atlas Elyden, detailing 3 regions - Ataraxia, Ahka and the Mull City-states.

A key to the maps can be found here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ataraxia Ahka low-res.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	6.18 MB 
ID:	112234

**Ataraxia & Ahka**

The neighbouring nations of Ataraxia and Ahka are closely entwined. Erected atop the ruin of a mull civilisations and hounded by the Korachani empire for slaves and resources, these two lands have much in common, and both have an ingrained hatred of the empire and its church to this day

The histories of Ataraxia and Ahka date back to the days following the end of the Fourth Age of Mortal Life and the few mull and human communities, most of them pastoral, that appeared there. Even in this distant time, the soils east of the Black mountains were fertile, encouraging grazing and the early cultivation of crops. By the time the Korachani empire appeared the area today divided between Ataraxia and Ahka was home to hundreds of small communities, most of which had an integrated mull and human population. Those in the north became famed for the fruit and vegetables produced in their rich volcanic soils. Those in the south were working iron not long after the Korachani empire and were skilled metallurgists. It was during this time that Lascar colonists made landfall and settled what is today Ahka, eventually becoming indistinguishable from the native populace.

By c. 1900 RM the lands to the south and east of the Black Mountains (today occupied by Ataraxia and Ahka) were controlled by Argha, famed as the largest concentration of mulls in all of Elyden, centred around the great city of Argham. Founded along the base of a large spire-like mesa known as Ghulkull, it was known for its great mortuary complexes, and its many tunnels making their way deep into the ground, many of which are still in use to this day.

The city and neighbouring satellites were destroyed by Korachani forces in 2906 RM, following years of attacks and the city was taken and renamed Arkam the next year as the remnants of the scattered mull population were hunted down.

This was the beginning of major imperial hostilities against the fragmented people of Argha, whose coastal settlements were regularly attacked for slaves. New imperial colonies were also set up along the southern coast to take advantage of iron and umbra deposits in the area.

It was into this world that the ancestors of Ataraxia and Ahka emerged, repopulating the empty mull settlements that were located farther inland, safer from the predation of Imperial slavers operating from ships or the city of Arkam. Most of the mull population had disappeared beyond the Black Mountains or settled the rocky lands to the south, now known as the Mull City-states, who maintain good relations with the people of Ahka and, to a lesser extent, Ataraxia.

The War of the Artifexes saw much conflict engulf the Gulf of Skaros for a century before the signing of the Almagest Treaty saw Almagest become an independent nation 3014 RM. The decades after the independence of Almagest saw Skaros become a troubled region, forcing Korachan to devote more and more resources to its upkeep, allowing Arkam to dwindle in strength even as the displaced native populace grew stronger. It was in this time that two distinct peoples emerged, from which Ataraxia and Ahka would emerge. The Ataraxians were bolder in their hatred of the Korachani and they practiced daring attacks on the Arkami borders and supply caravans and convoys causing Arkam to be all-but abandoned by 3305 RM due to the cost and difficulty in defending it against the attacks. A Major eruption of Malehothea caused great disruption in the region, further causing communications in the Korachani colonies there to break down.

Cut off from the motherland, the city of Arkam would eventually defect, aided by Ataraxian sympathisers and their Parthisan allies, and would become independent in 3311 RM.

Parthis and Ataraxia were officially declared allies in 3621 RM, after which embassies and consulates were established in most Ataraxian cities to aid trade between the two nations.

Arkam’s influence spread as its population and the Ataraxian natives integrated and by c. 3450 RM it had grown to control the region E of the the Black Mountains, becoming the nation of Ataraxia as we know it today.

Following the signing of the Parthisan alliance in 3621 RM Korachan declared an embargo against Ataraxia which continues to this day, though the two nations are not in open war, as is the case with Ahka...

Some political commentators have said that Ataraxia (and, to a lesser extent, Ahka) are little more than puppets of Parthis, which is considered by some to aid them only due to its interest in their resources.

Unlike Ataraxia, Ahka has continuously been hounded by Korachani privateers, with its coastal cities destroyed and replaced with colonies, such as the fortress of Essochan, which has become a staging point for Korachani troops in Ahkan territories. Such attacks against Ahka reached a peak in 3992 RM, resulting in thousands of displaced Ahkans moving north, even as far as Ataraxia, which has accepted them with open-arms.

Korachan settled a 240-mile swathe of Ahka’s central coast, displacing even more families by 3999 RM. Parthis soon came to the aid of Ahka, and though an official alliance has not yet been ratified, it has sent many troops into Ahka to aid in its defence and for the past decade the region has been a warzone, with trench warfare and bombardments becoming common, a prelude to the Great War that would engulf all of Llachatul and northern Sammaea by 4008 RM...

__________________________________________________ _______________

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	112235

Nice ! Very impressive !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yet another home-run, Vorro.

But I finally get to nit-pick! You're missing labels on two cities south of the 'Mul' in Mul States, just east of Haglach.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    But I finally get to nit-pick! You're missing labels on two cities south of the 'Mul' in Mul States, just east of Haglach.
    That's half the reason I post the maps thanks for pointing it out. I dunno why but it's like writing - for some reason it's very difficult to edit your own work.

For some reason the original PSD is also missing one of the labels but the other is present. I'll fix it asap! Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yet another home-run, Vorro.

Lucky spot? or do you actually scrutinize the map millimeter by millimeter ?

Vorro, very consistent and super detailed work. I am really amazed by your dedication to this worldbuilding task you have undertaken. Hats off
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

These continue to be a treat! I'll never quite understand your seemingly endless stamina for this project, but it's certainly impressive.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Vorro, very consistent and super detailed work. I am really amazed by your dedication to this worldbuilding task you have undertaken. Hats off
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    These continue to be a treat! I'll never quite understand your seemingly endless stamina for this project, but it's certainly impressive.
    I sometimes wonder that myself - i think by this point (My next atlas map will be my 40th) its force of habit!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Well my friend, you never cease to impress me with the progress on this gigantuan task. May you have joy with it in the comming year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Well my friend, you never cease to impress me with the progress on this gigantuan task. May you have joy with it in the comming year too.
    thanks, you too hope everythings ok as I havent heard much from you lately other than your patreon updates

Another great masterpiece.